lock right locker help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lock right locker help

BroncoDriver

Reaction score
City, State
Taylors, SC
Im a long time ford owner so I have a lot of parts laying around. I bought a locker years ago for the rear axle of my 89 bronco. (8.8 31 spline open diff lock right 1822). I recently swapped an 8.8 (31 spline open diff) out of a 99 explorer into my jeep wrangler. I tried to install the old locker I had, but the bronco uses a 7/8 pin, and the explorer uses a 3/4 pin. So I ordered a new lock right locker for an 8.8 ford with 31 spline axle shafts and 3/4 pin (lock right 1821). It still doesn't fit! The splined couplers do not fit into the carrier correctly. The 31 spline shaft fits in fine, but the coupler doesn't fit snug into the carrier. The couplers from the 1822 fit into the carrier, but do not leave enough room to install the pin. I can't figure out where the problem is. Has anyone else had any problems installing a lock right locker in the back of their explorer?

Dumb question but are you installing it in a limited slip carrier?

Im a long time ford owner so I have a lot of parts laying around. I bought a locker years ago for the rear axle of my 89 bronco. (8.8 31 spline open diff lock right 1822). I recently swapped an 8.8 (31 spline open diff) out of a 99 explorer into my jeep wrangler. I tried to install the old locker I had, but the bronco uses a 7/8 pin, and the explorer uses a 3/4 pin. So I ordered a new lock right locker for an 8.8 ford with 31 spline axle shafts and 3/4 pin (lock right 1821). It still doesn't fit! The splined couplers do not fit into the carrier correctly. The 31 spline shaft fits in fine, but the coupler doesn't fit snug into the carrier. The couplers from the 1822 fit into the carrier, but do not leave enough room to install the pin. I can't figure out where the problem is. Has anyone else had any problems installing a lock right locker in the back of their explorer?

Back