• Register Today It's free!

locker for TTB Dana 35???

mjma

Reaction score
City, State
Leverett, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XJ
Does anyone know if a locker built to go into a dana 35 rear axle will go into the dana 35 TTB front axle in a 92 explorer???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont quote me on this... but!

if you look at ARB's catalog, the part numbers are the same for the standard rotation D35 (rear jeep axle) and the Reverse cut D35 (Ford TTB)

i wanted a TrueTrac for mine, but Tractech doesnt make them... But! again! unclemeat here has a TrueTrac for a Dana35 from a jeep in his TTB...

so, really what it comes down to you can put almost any carrier from a Jeep D35 in your TTB D35, but you will have to swap the side gears to accomidate the reverse cut gears... (according to Randy's Ring and Pinion this can be a problem because swapping the side gears will allow the axle shafts to float more then designed, causing carrier damamge and ultimatly can destroy the housing...)

The Gears from the two axles WILL NOT interchage (hense i refered to them as Standard rotation and Reverse cut...)

thanx for your reply!

I guess i should have been more specific though, I meant a lunchbox locker, not a full carrier locker. What do you mean by side gears? The ring and pinion? Forgive me, I probably know more than most about axles but I am by no means an expert. Would your comment about switching side gears apply to a lunchbox locker? I'm guessing not, because it can go in either way.

I know, A lunchbox locker behind a 6 cylinder in a dana 35 rear is a recipe for broken shafts but from what I've heard the TTB D35 doesn't have the strength problems that the dana 35 rear does. Would you agree?

mjma said:
thanx for your reply!

I guess i should have been more specific though, I meant a lunchbox locker, not a full carrier locker. What do you mean by side gears? The ring and pinion? Forgive me, I probably know more than most about axles but I am by no means an expert. Would your comment about switching side gears apply to a lunchbox locker? I'm guessing not, because it can go in either way.

I know, A lunchbox locker behind a 6 cylinder in a dana 35 rear is a recipe for broken shafts but from what I've heard the TTB D35 doesn't have the strength problems that the dana 35 rear does. Would you agree?

the TTB 35 is plenty strong for most people, when install the luchbox style locker from a jeep in a ttb 35 is you need to modify the c-clips or install a spring in the passenger side axle for axle retention.

I guess i should have been more specific though, I meant a lunchbox locker, not a full carrier locker.
Oh ahha ok. Look for...

Powertrax Lockright - Basic Lunchbox locker

Powertrax Noslip - Better lunchbox locker, not sure of the exact differences between the lock right and the NoSlip. But i do know that the NoSlip makes a lot less noise. And the obvious price difference (+$100)

Aussie Locker - Basic Lunchbox locker. Newer in the industry, i havent heard much about them, ive been trying to decide between these and the NoSlip for my D35 myself.

Detior EZ locker- Basic Lunchbox locker/ A lot of people question the machining of these lockers, they look kinda rough, but they get the job done just as good as the lockright

What do you mean by side gears? The ring and pinion? Forgive me, I probably know more than most about axles but I am by no means an expert. Would your comment about switching side gears apply to a lunchbox locker? I'm guessing not, because it can go in either way.
haha yes, you will be replacing the Side Gears (and the spider gears) when you put in a 'Lunchbox' locker. They are the gears on the 'side.' The spider gears go in the middle. These are the gears in the center of the carrier.

mjma said:

Well the problem with an Automatic locker upfront is the fact when you turn your going to be getting quirks, bangs, and possibly broken shafts. If you do 'really hard' wheeling, or you find yourself fighting slippery rocks in the utah mountains then you probably want to advise against it. But if you are like me and just like turning up mud and pushing your luck on the mediocre stuff then a lunchbox locker should be fine.

Heres the thing about the Dana 35 rear axle and the Dana 35 Ford TTB. The Jeep D35 has standard cut gears, while the TTB D35 is reverse cut. Reverse cut gears are noted to be stronger in a front axle, making the strength Dana 35 equivalint to a Standard cut Dana44 (rear axle?). The TTB Dana35 is pretty Darn strong. It could have been built stronger with a Iron or steal housing (and definatly a lot cheaper then aluminum). Although rare, it is possbile to crack and destroy the aluminum housing of the TTB D35, but more than likley that will never happen.

The D35 is definatly not as strong as your rear axle (Ford 8.8) but it balances out pretty good.

ah yes, side gears as in spiders. won't need those anymore. I generally think of the whole setup as the spider gears, but I guess they have separate components. I am asking because I can get a detroit ez lunchbox locker for cheap. Living in the northeast, there are lots of rocks, but there is usually mud and whatnot around too, so locking the front isn't that bad. Plus, it's got warn lockout hubs installed, so if it gets really tight benny can just unlock one hub for a little bit.

I'm asking this for my housemate. he has some loot and I found him a locker for cheap, and I wasn't positive if it would fit the TTB or not, but this is good news, as he is always getting himself into nasty situations. As I type this he is stuck in the woods behind our house! (i'm at school right now) An axle that hangs down as low as the ttb 35 needs a locker if you ask me!

I am planning on getting an aussie locker up front soon for my d30. From what I hear they are the best lunchbox locker you can get. They also have a full warranty, for whatever that is worth? I would lock my rear but my wheelin vehicle also is my daily driver, and although I have a friend who drives a locked wrangler on the street daily with no swaybars, I don't think it will be the right choice for me! they can get real squirrely around corners that change curvature, and most all roads in NE do that. Luckily this guy has harnesses!!

I have also heard not so great things about the detroit ezlocker, but it's hard to say no when it's cheap and will get the job done. If he messes up the axle, it will just be an excuse to put a solid axle up there.

Back