adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Twin falls, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok so I am planning to put a locker in my 93 before moab in may. But i cant decide whether to put it in front or rear.... I do have the LS in the rear that appears to work as well as a factory LS can... so should i put the locker up front and do the rear later or vice versa. Those of you that have lockers which do you use the most in your opinion and which is most helpful?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The general thinking seems to be if you already have a LS in the rear, you should go with a locker up front.

Of course, what you really want is lockers front and rear, so you can just go with whatever you can get a deal on or come across. I wouldn't pass up a sale price or used deal on a rear locker just because you already have the LS in there or to put something in the front first.

The plan will be detroit rear and arb front! However I may do the rear first and spend a bit more the the eaton e locker in the rear. As far as the front im pretty sure if I do it it will be an arb. So does that change anyones opinions?

Theres another question.............does the selectable locker in the rear really make a big enough difference to pay the extra for over the detroit automatic?????? keep in mind that this is also a daily driven rig. And

A ls doesn't do much. Put the locker in the rear. Rear is stronger, has more weight when going up hill, and I said so

A ls doesn't do much. Put the locker in the rear. Rear is stronger, has more weight when going up hill, and I said so

That was my thinking for rear first but if i go that route then how bad is the detroit for daily driving?

I couldn't tell ya, I don't have a locker. I'm sure someone will chime in, but from what I understand is as long as you stay outta the gas it'll be fine

You could go the air locker route, that's probably the best for DD

I run an Aussie in the rear, and only notice it when i get on the gas hard. that being said, i vote for front locker 1st, and maybe add a few friction discs to the rear to help it grab better. A lot of the mustang guys say for a few bucks and a few hours of their time they can get their LS diffs to grab almost as well as a locker. I added an extra friction and steel to each side of the LS in my 1st gen and it did amazing with p235's on it

Spinning both tires on asphalt isn't the same as trying to move 5,000lbs up hill with 1 tire air born. Try all you want, a limited slip isn't a locker. It's good for driving aggressively on the street, towing, and mild off roading. But when tires start leaving the ground, it might as well be open.

I agree with colintrax, and I'll add that to get any type of locking action from a limited slip you need wheel speed, wheel speed plus sudden traction=blown up parts. I drive my Bronco II on the road all the time and its welded in the rear, not as bad as everyone would say it is.

I love my ARB in the rear. I've had the LS, welded rear and now the ARB. Remember for snow being able to have an open rear is the only way to go especially with all the winding roads I travel. Just the other day in snow I would disengage the rear when when going down hill with a lot of off camber turns, and then flip the switch when going up.
As far as my experience with a LS doing trails and getting one wheel air borne, not good. Does make for a good boat anchor though.

I agree with Brian1. I run a lunch box locker (power trax) in the front with a stock l/s in the rear w/35's. I have driven some gnarly trails with this setup have never been stuck due to lack of traction. I am not afraid to pick any tire off the ground because I only have a l/s in the rear. I say locker in the front!

Ok thanks for all the opinions...I think im gonna do the eaton e locker in the rear first....and hopefully I can come up with enough cash to put an arb up front as well. Up front I definitely need selectable for a daily driver.....but im not dead set on the rear first yet just waiting for someone to come up with an idea of why front would be better first.

Little bit of opinion left

Hmmm most people in this post seem to lean towards putting a locker in the front axle. I tend to believe in the age ol saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. What happens if you put in your rear locker and end up in a position where you're unable to get the front locker installed prior to your trip?

A locker in the front axle, selectable or not does not effect daily driving. Putting the locker in the front would provide you with at least three wheels constantly moving you forward while putting a locker in the rear would still only provide two wheels giving constant forward momentum. More easily put: locker in front = 3 tires turning, locker in rear = 2 tires turning. Plus it saves you some money. My 23 year old l/s has yet to leave me hanging.:D

Hmmm most people in this post seem to lean towards putting a locker in the front axle. I tend to believe in the age ol saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. What happens if you put in your rear locker and end up in a position where you're unable to get the front locker installed prior to your trip?

A locker in the front axle, selectable or not does not effect daily driving. Putting the locker in the front would provide you with at least three wheels constantly moving you forward while putting a locker in the rear would still only provide two wheels giving constant forward momentum. More easily put: locker in front = 3 tires turning, locker in rear = 2 tires turning. Plus it saves you some money. My 23 year old l/s has yet to leave me hanging.:D

'Nuff said! Spend the first load of money on your ARB for the front. 3 wheels of traction, over 2, numbers just don't lie. (unless miscued :) )

Selectable in the front does matter for daily driving if your in the snow.....not open front on snow at 65mph will push and pull you all over the place I have driven a locked front on the freeway before and its scary as hell..... your front tiresare turning at different speeds almost all the time where the rear just follows and doesnt move back and forth much unless your actually turning...front definitley has to be selectable. Problem is I will be doing a sas eventually too so then ill have to try and sell the front to buy another for the new axle....the rear axle will be staying in....so dang confused lol. Im just gonna have to do both....its just funds I worry about.

Shoot, with that said go with the rear lol...would hate to spend the money on the ARB if you are just going to end up replacing it :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh ya and you still have 3 wheels whether its in front or rear it just determines which axle will have 2 vs 1....rear=2rear 1 front....front =2 front 1 rear.....so the whole 3 tires moving over 2 makes no sense at all

Back