• Register Today It's free!

Locker

jutgin

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I'm trying to find the right locker for my new ST.
Axle code is 42 so that means 4.10 with open carrier from what I've read.
8.8 31 spline
Does that look right?
Here's one I found, will it fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...uck_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Thanks for the help
Yes, that one will fit.

Powertrax LockRight Application guide:
http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/fordtrucklr.pdf

The Powertrax NoSlip Part # 92-0688-3108 will also work:
http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/fordtruckns.pdf

Good luck in your hunt.

Thanks, whats everyone else running?

my tag reads 4L10 88
i was wondering does this mean i have a limited slip rear end or is it open i am thinking about installing lockers in it

my tag reads 4L10 88
i was wondering does this mean i have a limited slip rear end or is it open i am thinking about installing lockers in it
You have to check your door code. Look at the sticker on the inside drivers door. Your Axle Code should be "D2" or "42". From the axle tag, it tells me that you have 4.10 gears. But, I don't know if that L stands for Limited Slip.

Explorer Door Sticker Axle Codes:

41..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.27
42..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 4.10
43..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.08
44..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
45..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.55
46..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
D1..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.27
D2..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 4.10
D4..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
D5..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
L73 ..... L/S ?.?"..... ????..... 3.73

I'm actually glad I have an open diff the locker is cheaper!
Got the body lift, wheel spacers and shocks ordered. Tires soon, I'll get some pics some pics up when it's done.

I had a powertrax locker in my 95 ex, I did not like it, too harsh for daily driver. how are other lockers?
I changed mine out for the o.e. style trac loc l/s with some mods.

if youre going for the locker there is a powertrax on ebay fairly cheap item #110357387472

if you want some info on moding the trac loc l/s go to http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rebuild_tractionlock.htm
it works very well, under power it is nearly locked. and these are readily available any junkyard will have a dozen. I got mine for $35

I had a powertrax locker in my 95 ex, I did not like it, too harsh for daily driver. how are other lockers?
I changed mine out for the o.e. style trac loc l/s with some mods.

if youre going for the locker there is a powertrax on ebay fairly cheap item #110357387472

if you want some info on moding the trac loc l/s go to http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rebuild_tractionlock.htm
it works very well, under power it is nearly locked. and these are readily available any junkyard will have a dozen. I got mine for $35
That's a scary ebay auction. The guy lists the part # of the NoSlip, but the pictures obviously show that its a LockRight. I don't see the pin for the cross shaft. I would pass that auction up. I would only buy a used locker if I could see it in real before buying it.

o just checked it and it said d2 so 410 limited slip i did have to replace the rear end got part from junk yard but the tag reads the same thing

Aussie locker here. Works great.

Paul

o just checked it and it said d2 so 410 limited slip i did have to replace the rear end got part from junk yard but the tag reads the same thing
Your only choice is the Powertrax NoSlip made for the Limited Slip. These lockers go inside the carrier. The carriers are different between a Limited Slip and Open differential. Well, your only choice in the lunchbox locker arena. There are other lockers that replace the whole carrier, but they are usually more expensive. Like the ARB air locker and the Eaton E-locker.

Also any opinions on which is better between no-slip 3108 or the lockright 1822?

Also any opinions on which is better between no-slip 3108 or the lockright 1822?
The NoSlip is the more street friendly one. My understanding is that its quieter. My LockRight can click pretty loud sometimes.

The NoSlip is the more street friendly one. My understanding is that its quieter. My LockRight can click pretty loud sometimes.

Does that cause any problems or just the noise?

Does that cause any problems or just the noise?
Not in my mind. These are torque based lockers. So you can expect some tire chirping on sharp corners when you are accelerating. It probably can be a bit of a negative thing in snow/ice situation. Because if both tires slip in 2wd the rear end will fish tail to the right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks again john

Back