• Register Today It's free!

Lockers anyone?

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
well, it's time for me to get a locker for the rear axle. this limited slip just doesn't cut it anymore. i'm looking at those automatic locking lockers that lock the axle when one wheel actually slips. i need suggestions for which ones are good, which ones are bad, what to look for, etc. price is an aspect for my search for a locker, or i would go with the arb air locker in the rear... still not completely sure what exactly i want, but i want one that has descent road manners as well... any suggestions, comments, gripes, etc will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a powertrax. It's great.

that's the one that i've been looking at. how difficult is it to install with a limited slip in the rear?

Well...........It took me about 6 hours to install it because I'm an idiot and didn't remove all the l/s clutch packs and couldn't get the thing assembled correctly.

But it would take a normal person about 3 hours to do.

have you noticed a difference with traction? also did you have a limited slip differential before? thanks

Yes I had a limited slip before. It was worthless. I insepcted the clutch packs when I removed them and sure enough they were toast.

The traction difference is like night and day.

I second all that, powertrax no-slip all the way, ease of install is rated #2 on a scale of 1-5 took me about an hour maybe an hour and a half and paid $375 thru National Drivetrain

Powertrax No Slip!!! Best investment I have put in my truck so far. Worth every penny and works very well. Almost invisible on the road (you can occasionally chirp a tire or get some wheel hop in a corner) and VERY effective off road.

I have installed a couple Powertrax and can get it done in about an hour (including oil fill)

any hints/tips on what to do/look for when installing the powertrax? it goes in where the limited slip "locker" is right? hey trckmagik, i don't believe that you can do it in about an hour. why don't you prove it and come over to north carolina and install mine for me when i get it :D heh heh. i've got a case of beer with your name on it if you can do it in an hour and a half! ;)

Ill be there this weekend. I will leave friday and be there saturday night. Can I crash at your house? Oh yeah, Ill need some Sky Citrus and 7 as I dont drink beer. See ya then.........:confused:

Back