Lockers??????WHAT | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lockers??????WHAT

Re: LOCKERS ARE OK IN THE RAIN!

Hey; Guys I just wanted to tell you about my locker.All the lockers that are out there are good and all but the need for all that spent money is just really crazy.And as for the labor that is just a total joke, sure taking the truck to a shop is the right thing to do but lets get real.Taht 1000$ bucks could be much better spent on a winch or some bead locks.O.K. here is the deal,first the back lash on a 8.8 rear end is so damm sloppy any clown can put the diff back in with no problem.As for the locker just put the rear of the truck up on jack stands pull the rear tires.Next take off the diff cover use something to catch that nasty gear oil,Pull the c-clips on the axel shafts the pull the axels out about 10" so that they will clear the diff.Remove the 4 bearing bolts and drop out the diff be carefull that sucker ain't lite.Now clean it down with break cleaner and take it to a good welding shop and I mean a good welding shop not your buddy with the 110 stick welder!The shop will charge around 40$ Make sure you stick something inside the axel shaft holes th keep out any slag from welding.Clean everything again and put it back together. It is that easy really it is I've done 3 this way and none have ever broken.This can be done in one day no problem and as for driving I really do not see a diffrence I have 35 swampers on mine and I drive it to work every day and pull my trailer with it.Mine has been in my expolorer for a year and no problems.And seeing as how I live close to Attica it gets some real wheel'n time put on it.So dont be a shy step up and get some real traction and for under 50$bucks.If you have questions just e-mail me at klove@csinet.net Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not read all of the posts above,so if what I say has been said before please excuse me.

Lockers rule... OK now that that is out of the way.
Cost - you either pay now or later. Buy the best now, install it correctly or have it installed by a good mechman and you will not be taking the diff a part again, unless you grenade it. i.e. buy "Detriot Locker" for the rear.
Rear Locker - A lock rear diff can help you on the street but become a little tricky on wet pavement.
Front Lockers - On the trail they are hard to beat unless you need the lateral traction that a standard diff give you so you won't slide sideways. What do you do, install a locker that you can ingage and disingage. i.e. Air Locker, OX locker, and I think there is an Electric Locker. These allow you to have a locked front end or a standard front end.
I know the cost of top of the line lockers are high but again pay now or later. Lockers are great on the trail.

If I have not total confused you and anyone reading this post, then I hope this message helps.

man, you guys sure make it hard to choose a locker setup. Is an OX locker available for the front reverse cut Dana 35? how about a list of lockers available for the 8.8, 91-94 d35, 95+ d35, etc. Right now I am thinking OX locker in the front, and a powertrax in the rear. Are both of these rated for use with 35-36" tires? If the OX is not available I'll probably go with something simple like a powertrax. I don't quite understand the whole concept behind "3wd." Why wouldn't you just drive around with both hubs unlocked and go in 2wd?Why would you possibly want 3 wheels driving in spite of the fourth?

OX TRAX info: www.oxtrax.com
-Currently only made for Dana 30; 44 and 35 to come out later this year.
-Super Heavy Machined Cover
-Positive locking cable - no air, wires, etc.
-Open to Locked instantly on demand
-No tire size limit!!

Now, I'm not sure, but it sounds like that reinforced diff cover is included in the price. www.drivetraindirect.com has the one for a dana 30 for 649.00, the same price as an air locker, but including a reinforced diff cover with drain plug. I think that I read that the lockers will be made for 3.73 gearing and up only. Sounds good to me. I did not see any info on whether or not a stronger carrier would be needed/included.
So I'll probably just get a rear locker for now, and maybe a Dana TracLoc LSD for the front until this is available, unless you guys think that I can get through Moab with an open front diffy while I wait for the OXtrax.

Yeah, I've read that one, that's where alot of my questions came from, actually. It doesn't say anything about WHY you would want to be in 3wd, and I don't remember seeing anything about tire size limits on the powertrax. And I am sure that that post is far from a comprehensive list as to what will fit in each of our differentials. That post deals mostly with 95+ front diffs, I have a 91.

You have a Dana 35 TTB front end. That is totaly 100% different then the Dana 35c that OX Locker is selling for. The Dana 35c that they are selling for is a rear axle in a Jeep. The dana 30 they have listed is the front axle for the Jeep. I know they are supposed to make one here sometime in the future for the 8.8 but its a ways off. I am sorta doughting one will be made for the Explorer 35 though just because of demand. However if enough people did put forth the demand it might be made.

Ryan , may i ask why your rear fenders are cut?? Do u accually hit them on rocks? Ive hit my bumper but not there.

For those of you that are interested.......

My letter to Oxtrax....
I was curious if the new OXlocker for the Dana 44 would be usable in a front Dana 44 reverse cut axle, like the ones found in a 77 Ford Bronco. I was considering a Dana 44 solid axle swap onto my Explorer in the near future, and would like to put the OXlocker in the front. Any plans for a Ford 8.8? I know a lot of Jeepers that swap in the Ford 8.8, and I would love to have a OXlocker for my rearend as well.

Their response....
Thanks for the interest in the OXLocker and Drivetrain Direct. The Ox will work either r standard or reverse rotation. And should be here this month. The ford 8.8 unit is due in 2002 If you have any other question or like to place a order call me. thanks

So for those of you that have already done the Dana 44 swap, the Oxlocker is available soon. Now if I could just find a donor vehicle....

Originally posted by JayR
Ryan , may i ask why your rear fenders are cut?? Do u accually hit them on rocks? Ive hit my bumper but not there.

Yeppers smacked one of them on the rocks once so Rick told me he was gonna chop his off, and I beat him to it. His however look a hellova lot better then mine do!

I thoguht I'd bring this to the top because it was the only thread I could find on the locker situation. I was just wondering if anything has changed on the locker opinions. I want to run a traction aid up front and a rear locker with 33's and 4.56's. However, it is still my daily driver. Any ideas on what would be best? Any help is appreciated...thanks

You definitely have many options. I run a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Trac-Lok L/S in the front. Works well for me. The only way I wanted a locker in the front was with something like an ARB, which can be turned on and off. Having a full time locker in the front works wonders many times on the trail, but on snowy, icy, and muddy roads, it can get a little trecherous. Hard to turn too. At the time I installed my gears, I didn't want to spend the money on the ARB, and also didn't know if I liked the reliability of the ARB system.

The Trac-Lok is inexpensive, about $200, and since it's in the front, which isn't really used that much, there's not that much wear and tear on it so it should last quite a while.

I like having a Detroit in the rear, I know it'll be there when I need it most. Strongest locker on the market.

I know ARB has improved their products lately, with better reliability, so that might be something to look at for the front. Pricey though.

JayR,

What is happening with the locker situation, have you installed anything as yet?

Let the forum know.

I was under the impression that a front locker would not effect you so long as the hubs were unlocked.
I am going with an oxlocker up front, powertrax no-slip rear, with 4.88 gears.

I'm running 4.10s and powertrak's lockers front and rear... they're very streetable, and excellent offroad... and they're alright in the snow
Pete

Pete - What kind up front? No-slip's all around or the lock right up front?

I've decided on a powertrax no-slip in the rear, but still kinda unsure about what to put in the front. I thought about a lockright up here, but not sure how it'll do on the road, or how good it'll perform off-road. Any ideas?

Back