• Register Today It's free!

locking brakes

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My brakes lock up when wet. I chaned the front pads and rotors. Still locking up. Any ideas.

92 XLT stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine seem a little grippier at first when its wet outside... I just dont put the brakes on as hard :p

Are both sides locking, or just one side. Also, is it only the fronts?

I had my front brakes start dragging, it turned out to be my master cylinder, after a few months, one side locked up, I replaced the calipers and pads, got a pair of pre-loaded calipers for $60 at Autozone, everything is fine now. Gary

Do this happen to be Genuine Ford Brakes? If so that may be the issue. My parents ex did this exact same thing but it would go away after driving a few miles. Once the brakes wore out and were replaced with some other brand the brakes never once locked up again. And now that they were replaced with ford brakes again... Well you can guess what they do when they are wet... :p:

I had rear brakes lock up on my truck when they were cold or damp. I replaced the rear drums and all problems went away.

the fronts do when wet on mine but i jsut drive abotu 20' while slightly power breaking and then they are fine.

Still locking up

I was out driving tonight in the rain and still locking up. The passenger front locks most often, then the driver front. Didn't feel the rear locking up at all. Replaced the front brakes and rotors. Maybe time to change the calipers? What about the master cylinder?

Check to see if the rear brakes are working. It is common for the ABS valve to rust shut causing the rear brakes to stop working. This in turn forces the front brakes to do the entire job of stopping the vehicle. When this occurs it is very easy to lock up the front brakes on wet or loose surfaces.

It could be a sticky caliper or collapsed flex line.

Try "adjusting" the brakes. Older X's are self adjusting.

Go in reverse at 5mph and hit the brakes. Do it a few times.

Mine locks up faster than a F22.

Usually when it's wet or after sitting for a long while.

I hate it because it throws anything I have in the Truck towards the front into the floorboard.

After about 4 or 5 stops they seem to adjust.

Check to see if the rear brakes are working. It is common for the ABS valve to rust shut causing the rear brakes to stop working. This in turn forces the front brakes to do the entire job of stopping the vehicle. When this occurs it is very easy to lock up the front brakes on wet or loose surfaces.

It happened to me....

Try "adjusting" the brakes. Older X's are self adjusting.

Go in reverse at 5mph and hit the brakes. Do it a few times.

That's the rear brakes, if the adjusters arent rusted solid...

Back