Locking doors with engine running 2005 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locking doors with engine running 2005

Jumper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've just switched from a 2000 to a 2005 explorer and I'm in a bind. I was able to lock the doors with the engine running on the 2000, then use the door key pad to get back in. On the 2005, when I try to do this, the car unlocks the door when I shut it, even though it also has a key pad. On occasion, I really need to do this so I can leave my dog in the car while I run in some place, such as a rest stop on a long road trip. Is there a way to disable the auto-unlock feature I'm experiencing?

Thanks for any help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Smart unlocking feature
The smart unlocking feature helps prevent you from locking yourself out
of the vehicle. With the key in any ignition position, the driver’s door will
automatically unlock if it is locked using the power lock control on the
driver’s door panel while the driver’s door is open.

only way i see removing this is a non smart unlocking vsm. or lock it with the key from the outside. also moving the manual lock and not using the door lock should lock the door also.

on a side note, the keypad on the newer models will not work with the car running.

ever consider installing a remote starter? thats what do...

I've just switched from a 2000 to a 2005 explorer and I'm in a bind. I was able to lock the doors with the engine running on the 2000, then use the door key pad to get back in. On the 2005, when I try to do this, the car unlocks the door when I shut it, even though it also has a key pad. On occasion, I really need to do this so I can leave my dog in the car while I run in some place, such as a rest stop on a long road trip. Is there a way to disable the auto-unlock feature I'm experiencing?

Thanks for any help...

Jumper, you can shut the door and with the engine running lock the doors with the keypad, assuming that you have the code so you can unlock the door with the keypad. I do it all the time. Here is the breakdown on using the keypad:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

If you don't have the code for the keypad:

Check out this thread for locating the security module, thanks to Welli for a great write-up!!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=entry+code

Once you know the factory code you can program your own code. The factory code will always be active but a personal code might be easier to remember.

Hope this helps out! :cool:

Big thanks to BigRondo, I've used the door keypad for years on my previous 2000 explorer and never knew there was a lock code. I just tried both locking and unlocking the 2005 with the keypad while the key is in the ignition and running and it works perfectly-problem solved!

Waskly, I think you were misinformed, the keypad worked just fine unlocking the car while running.

Glad I could help! :biggthump

Back