Locking Gas Cap for 22 EX?

jsgoofn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Beautiful Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST-Line
The area where I live has some real troublemakers who would probably think it was fun to put sugar or weird stuff in the gas tank so I wanted to make sure I am not a victim. The Ford accessories website only has locking fuel plugs for 2019 and older. Autozone and others also say theirs don't work either. Has anyone tried to get one for the 6th gen EX yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have a new Explorer, but doesn't the gas fill door lock when you lock the doors? I thought just about every car made in the past decade has a locking gas fill door.

After checking out 3 pages of gas caps on one particular site, I don't believe such a thing exists.

Peter

I don't have a new Explorer, but doesn't the gas fill door lock when you lock the doors? I thought just about every car made in the past decade has a locking gas fill door.
Unfortunately, it does not lock at all. All one has to do to open the fuel filler door is push on it.

Peter

There was a thread about this before. Nothing was found then either. It may have been on a different forum now that I think about it.

I don't have a new Explorer, but doesn't the gas fill door lock when you lock the doors? I thought just about every car made in the past decade has a locking gas

There was a thread about this before. Nothing was found then either. It may have been on a different forum now that I think about it.
OK, thanks. It's not something I usually think about but the police have mentioned that has happened in the area based on door cameras and other complaints. I'll have to figure something out.

Hi Dale. It was mentioned in a thread that was on another subject. I came across it when I did a Search this morning before I replied.

Peter

Unfortunately, it does not lock at all. All one has to do to open the fuel filler door is push on it.

Peter

Does the 2022 Explorer share the same fuel filler door shape, the size and shape of the quarter panel area there? It is possible to swap a door from another model that matches in size and shape, including the locking mechanism. So do the older models have a locking door etc?

I have the parts to do my 98 Explorer project, the late 90's Town Car uses the same size filler door. I bought the door and the inside parts that hold the filler tube, and the electrical solenoid to pop the door open. If a match can be found for the fuel fill door, then it's likely a person can swap those parts and add a factory fuel door release button anywhere convenient in the cabin.

Does the 2022 Explorer share the same fuel filler door shape, the size and shape of the quarter panel area there?..............................................
Yes. Here is a picture of a 2021. I'm guessing the 2022 is similar.

1646924993696.png

Peter

I didn't think any of the new Explorers have locking doors. If so, swapping it out would be a good option. I'm stopping by the dealer today and I'll find out. I'm guessing this is not much of an issue but it's good to have options!

I didn't think any of the new Explorers have locking doors. .....................................
They don't. None of the 5th or 6th gen Explorers have locking fuel filler doors. Neither does my Aviator.

Peter

Yes. Here is a picture of a 2021. I'm guessing the 2022 is similar.

View attachment 427247

Peter

That is a unique shape for a filler door. That's why I mentioned that shape, it's important, modifying one from a past model would be much harder. I got the idea from doing my old 95 Crown Vic, using civilian parts to make it lock.

The late Explorer might not have a good swap choice, you'd need the parts behind the door to fit well to the inner body panel, as well as a door to modify with some difficulty. Ingenuity, you need to have it to own old Fords.

When you run it through the fitment quiz, it says it will not fit.

When you run it through the fitment quiz, it says it will not fit.
You get the same results from other auto parts sites and also Ford parts. So it appears no one makes one that fits so far.

The area where I live has some real troublemakers who would probably think it was fun to put sugar or weird stuff in the gas tank so I wanted to make sure I am not a victim. The Ford accessories website only has locking fuel plugs for 2019 and older. Autozone and others also say theirs don't work either. Has anyone tried to get one for the 6th gen EX yet?
BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO FIND ONE - I.E. MAKE SURE IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR 'EMISSIONS' MONITORING - YOU MAY GET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO FIND ONE - I.E. MAKE SURE IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR 'EMISSIONS' MONITORING - YOU MAY GET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!
Thanks for that info. I checked with my local Ford parts people and they said they are not aware of any locking gas cap for the 6th gen yet. Apparently, it's not a problem that Ford is concerned about.

No, most cars do not have locking gas doors these days. They went through a phase in the 90s and early 2000s where a lot of cars had them but a lot of the automakers kind of got over it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back