• Register Today It's free!

locking hub question

Bullit

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, south of Puyallup
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
on my 92 explorer i can only get the passanger hub to lock, the driver side one hardly moves and wont hardly move out of free. any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there probley full of water and mud..wich is a pretty common thing..they should be serviced once in awhile......u will have to pull them off the truck and take them apart and clean them....if thet Are aftermarket Warn hubs they have a lifetime warrantey so u can take it back and get a new one......otherwise u are takeing it apart and cleaning it......when u put it back togeather put a small bead of rtv black either on the disc or the back side of the hub so it seals it from getting water and dirt in the hub and bearrings a bit better......hope this helps

Just pull the tire off and the hub will come off next. Clean out the old grease and dirt and regrease. There is a write up some where you can search for.

locking hubs

I got another question for you. In western washington were getting alot of snow and was wondering can i leave the explorer in 4wd the whole time im driving or just when i am slipping when i try to go at a intersection?

If the roads are wet, sandy, snowy or muddy your ok. Basically the tires and drive train need to be able to "slip". As long as your not on dry asphalt you should be ok. I would just lock my hubs and engage when needed.

Back