Lockrite for D35, trouble with install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lockrite for D35, trouble with install

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I'm having a hell of a time getting the lockrite installed correctly. The instructions I downloaded from Richmond/powertrax aren't very helpful, and the pictures are a joke. I looked for a writeup and couldn't find one for the D35 front end, I guess I got what I paid for.
I've got two spare parts and an axle with too much play.
Can anyone help?
-Martin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What pieces do you have extra?

To take out the play in the axle stub on the passenger side I used a large snap ring that fit over the axle shaft. I grinded off the ears of the snap ring so that they would fit in the "cup" I used 1 or 2 - I dont remember it has been a while. Just use enough so there is still a small amount of in and out play.

You may speak with DeJello as he just did this same install.

awesome, the picture of all the parts with labels is what I needed most, I had a pair of washer/spacer pieces left over but after taking it all apart, and carefully looking, it really only made sense to go in one way, without any spare parts.

Thanks guys for all the help. now for one more thing.

With the front 3rd member out of the truck, how can I tell if it's gonna work?
Seems to be fully engaged, turning the pinion results in both axles turning in the same direction, and trying to stop the axle from turning is impossible with hand strength, acts almost like a spool turning it by hand. Sound right so far? Just trying to cover my ass, I couldn't have afforded this if I had to pay someone to do it.
Thanks again for the advice/help/links/patience
-Martin

Back