• Register Today It's free!

long crank before starting

isenegger

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
when my ex sits over night or over 30 min, when i go to start it i have to hold the key down and let it crank for about 10 sec then it will fire off. it i give it maybe 1/8th throttle it will fire up. i read about the iac. i took it off and it looked brand new. no carbon inside at all. so i just put it back on. what else can i try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try priming the fuel system before starting cold and see if it fires off quicker. Turn your key to the run position, turn it off, then do it one or two more times to build pressure in the system before turning the key all the way to engage the starter.

Your fuel pump is probably loosing pressure which is common on explorers,can you check your fuel pressure yourself-it really easy you will need a fuel pressure tester and hook it up yo ur schrader valve on the fuel rail

well my wife tried the switch cycling and she said it started right up sitting over night. so if the fuel pump is loosing its prime does that mean its going out soon? how long will it last before it needs to be changed?

how long will it last before it needs to be changed?

could be in the next 10 seconds, could be in the next 10 months. no one can give you a actual answer to that.

ok thats what i was thinking. it seems to start everytime after i cycle the key..

Bump did this issue get solved ?

Back