Long time lurker, 1st post. 96 Explorer/ 92 Aerostar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long time lurker, 1st post. 96 Explorer/ 92 Aerostar

bmyers

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler,AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 2dr Explorer
Greetings Everyone,

As the title says, long time lurker. I've had my Explorer for about 8 years now. I've been to 2 oceans and 2 countries with it. She's still going strong. (looking for wood to knock on)..

It's a 96 Explorer SportTrac 2 door 4.0l 4x4 I bought with some 30k miles on it. I actually go off-road with it, it's no pavement queen.. It's now got 113k and although showing it's age, I can't complain about it. The only mod I've ever done was to add a performance chip to the computer.

I found this forum while digging around for symptoms on my Explorer. Been lurking ever since.

Then I got a '92 Aerostar a few years ago (for free, right in the middle of my price range) and things got interesting. It has over 170k on it. It's very similar to an Exp/Ranger. It's got a 4.0l, an A4LD, and lots of "interesting diagnostic opportunities" for the home mechanic. Currently the tranny is acting up some I've been tearing through the archives comparing symptoms and solutions. My dream would be to paint the Aerostar up to look like the NCC-1701 shuttle craft from the 60's Star Trek episodes. I think it's a close match.

As for me I'm a grease monkey turned computer geek. I started to go into automotive repair as a young lad but I decided to do the computer thing instead. My day job now is as a computer consultant, the auto repair I do for "fun" and saving $$$. I've always had less than new cars hence the need to know how to keep them running. I a pretty capable mechanic and own a decent size tool box. My first engine swap was at 15 yrs old, by myself.

Always off my list were automatic transmissions. It was something I just didn't work on. BUT NO MORE!! Due to the excellent archives here, I'm going to be diving in to my A4LD on the shuttle craft to fix a shifting problem.

Anyways, just thought I'd say hello to what seems to be a nice bunch of folks.

Bill (in AZ)

Welcome, I wonder how many more a lurking in the shadows?

Back