Long time lurker needing some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long time lurker needing some advice

BrentMc

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4WD
Hi all, I bought my explorer sport 4x4 new, it has 60,000 miles and has been overly maintained been garage kept , very good condition not a sign of Rust
until went to get undercoated and was informed the rockers are rusted. So my question is, worth fixing or bail out now? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:pics:

Pictures please

Hi all, I bought my explorer sport 4x4 new, it has 60,000 miles and has been overly maintained been garage kept , very good condition not a sign of Rust
until went to get undercoated and was informed the rockers are rusted. So my question is, worth fixing or bail out now? Thank you.
Here are photos.

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

lol! He probably meant pics of the rocker panel rust... though it looks great, especially for its age.

Worth fixing or bail out now? How about option C) which is do nothing except undercoat it as you'd planned to.

I had the rocker panels and doglegs on my '98 repaired about a dozen years ago. at a cost of $1662 which is probably a little over $2K in today's money/economy.

A dozen years later, they are rusting out again, worse than they were when repaired last time. Solution? Do nothing. It's got a full frame that's in decent condition still, no way I'm pouring $2K into that. Engine, maybe I'd spend $2K regardless of it being worth less than $2K. Rocker panels? No. Besides, I can't even see the rust on yours due to the plastic(?) cladding?

On the other hand with only 60K miles on yours, I might just spend the $2k depending on how much the rest of the undercarriage has, or hasn't, rusted. Getting rid of it due to this (alone) is the one thing I wouldn't do.

I don't know why but the 2 doors LOVE to rust their rocker panels.
My friend has a 00 Sport 2dr and the rocker panels are cooked.

Truth is from what I usually see, the rockers rot out but then the rest of it is entirely "fine." especially the frame and anything that really matters. I would maybe check for secret rust like up on top of the gas tank, make sure connections around and on the 4wd motor aren't crusty, check crossmembers, check shackles, etc. Have whoever is doing the undercoating (a fine choice might I add :]) to take a look at any places where sand and rocks and mud would like to sit. That's where I see the most rust usually and where it ever manages to eat through to the other side and make rot holes.

I'd honestly ignore the rocker panels as long as you undercoat them.. As long as they're correctly prepped and undercoated, the rust should slow down almost to a stop if not a complete stop.

Wow! that things mint and low mileage.... yeah... what J.C. said...

Your explorer looks very clean. In great shape.
Rocker panel are not available at rockauto. With that said, they would have to be hand Fabricated. Maybe 3 days labor a side.
The Inside l panel is just a piece of sheet metal with a 90 degree bend with stiffer in it.
The outer rocket is available for the regular explore for $46.00. Maybe it could cut too fit. The trim holes have to be drill into the outer rocker for the trim pins.
You need too take a look under the car, at the rockers. Your car looks too nice too have rusted thru metal
Is Ft Wayne, IN a salt state? Do car rust out there?
With the price of cars and your low mileage. Yes
Please take some picture of the under carriage.

Your explorer looks very clean. In great shape.
Rocker panel are not available at rockauto. With that said, they would have to be hand Fabricated. Maybe 3 days labor a side.
The Inside l panel is just a piece of sheet metal with a 90 degree bend with stiffer in it.
The outer rocket is available for the regular explore for $46.00. Maybe it could cut too fit. The trim holes have to be drill into the outer rocker for the trim pins.
You need too take a look under the car, at the rockers. Your car looks too nice too have rusted thru metal
Is Ft Wayne, IN a salt state? Do car rust out there?
With the price of cars and your low mileage. Yes
Please take some picture of the under carriage.
They salt the roads, it is part of the rust belt.

Damn that’s a nice truck. Hard to tell without seeing the rust, but I’d at least do what I could to stop it from getting worse.

Looks like new! What year? I ordered 'slip-on' rocker panels for my 98 (4 door) XLT Explorer from Rock Auto, think it came to $150 last year. Don't know what mods would be needed to use those on a 2 door. BUT if it isn't covered with your undercoating, think about getting the doors, etc. treated with Fluid Film this fall, rust is a beast!

How bad are the dog legs? There’s slip on rockers that can be trimmed for the Sports.

Thanks for all the replies, these are the best pictures I could get.

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

You don't a have a problem yet. It looks like surface rust. For the split seam, used seam sealer and spray black paint over it. Any rusted surface , use por 15 rust treatment and coat with black paint.
The running board mount are good shape.

I don't see a big problem just surface rust

Use the rust proof system you like and drive it

Somebody didn't drive that car much in the winter for it to be in that good of shape.

Back