Long travel kit input | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long travel kit input

BAJA CUSTOMS

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Hey guys I need your input, I have a customer that wants a long travel kit for his 3rd gen explorer. Do you guys think there's a big enough demand for such a kit?
Does the sport trac use the same front suspension?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats up Matt, its your old worker. Im guessing Eric 86Explorer86 on here hit you up? Sport Trac is completely diff. and most on here dont have dezert where they live so im not too sure how big of a demand there will be. If you need to check out my suspension, give me a call

Can you please clarify: this is a long travel kit for 2wd correct?

Just to make sure people are clear on things because there are quite a bit of 3rd gens with 4wd/AWD.

i would think you could sell a few kits, but the overall demand for anything with explorers in the desert isnt high. there are truly just a handful of us guys with built a-arm explorers out there. a fabbed spindle would be a must, and keeping the price down would be very key.

Also the other problem is the rear of the third gens are IRS and the CV shafts go through a hole in the frame severely limiting travel. You would have to hack up the rear frame and plate it all back in, then either design arms for the rear or throw in a 9" with deavers. Either way your looking at some $$$$ and not a lot of people have it with this economy.

Whats up Matt, its your old worker. Im guessing Eric 86Explorer86 on here hit you up? Sport Trac is completely diff. and most on here dont have dezert where they live so im not too sure how big of a demand there will be. If you need to check out my suspension, give me a call
Sup Tyler, yea might have to check your truck, and his name is Eric. How about the expeditions, totally different suspension?

Can you please clarify: this is a long travel kit for 2wd correct?/
Yea, I was thinking just a mild kit, longer upper and lower arms with a small coilover similar to the newer Toyotas C/O's. How diffent are the 2wd and 4wd setups?

a fabbed spindle would be a must, and keeping the price down would be very key.
So the spindles are pretty weak?

Also the other problem is the rear of the third gens are IRS and the CV shafts go through a hole in the frame severely limiting travel. You would have to hack up the rear frame and plate it all back in, then either design arms for the rear or throw in a 9" with deavers. Either way your looking at some $$$$ and not a lot of people have it with this economy.
06-17-2009 11:35 PM

That's true didn't think of that, thanks.

Yah just let me know but mine is 4wd. I figured it was Eric as I refered him to you. The spindles arent weak but they become too short when you lift it(stock arms and over 2.5" lift, but your new arms will fix this along with a uniball and possibly a taller high mis spacer. I dont think there is much diff. in 4wd and 2wd except the exception of the diff. and cv shafts(even the spindles are the same). The Expeditions are also completely differant.

id be interested in upper front arms, maybe lower arms and spindles but would they mount up to the stock location? also mine is awd. my only issue i wanna fix is the stress on the upper ball joints in the front. the rear lift i'm happy with but if i could get 3or 4 inches up front all suspension i would be in. also i live in PA soooo

it would really help us out if we could figure out a way to lift the rear end and not have it pull the wheel forward if you catch what i'm saying. if not i'll explain more or someone can chime in

also the new sporttrac uses the same suspension as the 3rd and 4th gen explorers and mountaineers

This is what i would like to see/get, upper arms with uni-balls, and a new longer coil over shock. Yes a new plate would have to be made for it to attach. Than for the rear a spacer like now or use a longer coil over like the front. Here is a pic i got at the chicago auto show that shows the new suzuki truck. I want mine like this. keep it under 2 grand an ill be happy. I just want some travel out of my explorer 5 inches at least.....

Autoshow2009102.jpg

Autoshow2009103.jpg

Im sure the spindles themselves are fine. But the snouts are probably a weak point running anything more than 33's. Plus there are no lift spindles for these so a fabbed spindle would offer the lift and added strength with a d35 snout setup while still allowing to keep the stock lug pattern wheels.

My envision of a 3rd gen would be LT front with a fabbed spindle, d44 snouts, 10" coilover and bypass. The rear would be a 9", 4 link with a mezzanine or cantilever setup, again with coilover and bypass. But that's not a cheap vehicle to build.

haha i'm new to the whole long travel stuff so help me. what is a d35 and b44 snout?

i'm really hopeing for a full kit for the front. i would much rather not cut up my truck to mount the kit ether so i'd more then happy with new upper/lower a-arms with spindles and shocks if thats possible. if the rear issue could be fixed i would be happy to buy that setup if it isn't gonna be a full sas. once i find out prices i'm in haha

im down to have my explorer cut choped and welded back

new arms will be here and a long travel kit will be in the works

the pirate lab makes the spindle for the 3rd gen explorers

I'm going put a tech transfer request in with SEMA for the 3d CAD files of the suspension and chassis. I'll give you guys a heads, on any progress, I make on this.
Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.

if you need a mock up vehicle mine is free till jan.-feb. maybe march of 2010. i don't have much use for it when i'm in iraq. if i could get a discount on the lift and a round about price i will take one for the team and volunteer my truck:p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back