Long-Travel Suspension | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long-Travel Suspension

Originally posted by BislamJoe
Can the D35 handle the power of a moderately built 300? Is it just the outers that are weak? Or is the diffy itself a weak point? I would certainly buy those hubs and rotors if that with a few other mods will deal with my strength issues.

The carrier bearing caps in the D-35 TTB are aluminum... porous cast aluminum at that. I broke one in half and so did one of the other guys on the board... Just can't remember who it was. It may have been Rockranger.

If you upgrade to Dana 44 spindles than you will be able to use bigger brakes, hub etc. Mine are off of an '80 Blazer. I have never tried to match a D-44 spindle to the D-35 knuckle, but it it just may work. I know there was another thread about that, but the last I remember there was no absolute answer. I do know that you would have to run D-44 outer axle shafts since the D-44 spindles are longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I ended up putting on Camburg Heim joint radius arms like the ones on their page and a set of 5.5" Eibach lift coils. I also installed Bilstiens and I've got another set coming so I'm going to run duals up front temporarily. My plans of changed a little. Mostly the order though. I'm going to get my second Bilstien 5100s installed hopefully this week if they show up. Then I'm saving for some new tires around the end of Jan. Hopefully around the end of Feb. I"m going to get a custom set of leafs for the rearend made up and I"m going to get a set of either 7100 or 9100 Bilstien reservoir shocks for the rear. I'll probably do the coil over front end and rework the beams around mid to end of summer. The only other thing that's changed is I've decided on Bilstiens all around. I'll be running 9100 series 2.5" coilovers up front. The only reason is because I get them for 10% over cost which ends up being only a little more then the Kings/SAWs. Bislam, Email me and I'll give you an example of what my prices are.

Pics? Anywhere? Have I missed another thread while being on less at home?
Pete

Bumpomatic

Just wondering if there are any pics yet... Also curious to see if Winter's swing-set steering can be adapted for use on a fullsize rig?

[EDIT: I talked to Colin online, he speaks of pictures to come after the weekend at truckhaven...]

:mattmoon:

No.....

Trust me Bislam, you don't want to see them, You'll be so damn jealous!! Make sure to have a mop near to clean the drool off the floor.
Khris

Nah.... It's looking like I won't be building up the Explorer. See my thread in "Explorer Projects".

Dead Link Removed

That's why I'm asking if the steering could be adapted.

I'll probably still end up jealous... Even though Paul won't have an inline-six :cool: :bounce:

:hammer: Bump.

That's right, I'm making you all look at this again.

Back