Longer Shock Absorber (long reach) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Longer Shock Absorber (long reach)

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have fitted a 2" suspension lift kit on my Ford Explorer XLT 1997 but somehow the travel on my original shock absorber does not have enough travel and too bouncy soon it reaches the peak...

???? is there any longer shock absorber have longer travel (long reach) to replace my original? it seems all the shop sells same lenght of shocks but different brands????

im planning to modify the bracket but if theres any out there can give me ideas what to do please let me know asap, thank you heaps!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to cycle the suspension -measure the shock mounts at full compression and full extension, then choose a shock with slightly less length compressed, and slightly greater length extended. Use a limit strap and bump stop to prevent the shock from bottoming out .

Here is one brand of shock with a good selection, most other brands market their shocks in a similar manner.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Shock_Absorbers

How's 2" of lift causing issues? I could see if it was a lil more, but 2 isn't much

How's 2" of lift causing issues? I could see if it was a lil more, but 2 isn't much

thanks for the reply... but somehow i tried to adjust the torshion bar for an extra height but theres a point that the shocks stop doin its job, it get too bouncy...
but if i could get just a little longer shock absorber so it will be a lot better, i know all the shocks has a peak point and i just need that extra 2" travel for better ride...
at the shops where i got the shock absorber from he mentioned yes it should be good in 2" suspension lift because these shocks have 3" travel so that means i only have 1" left travel....

You need to cycle the suspension -measure the shock mounts at full compression and full extension, then choose a shock with slightly less length compressed, and slightly greater length extended. Use a limit strap and bump stop to prevent the shock from bottoming out .

Here is one brand of shock with a good selection, most other brands market their shocks in a similar manner.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Shock_Absorbers

THANKS!!! ill look into it, by the way are these longer or same from the original lenght...

Rancho makes a 1"-2" lift shock for Explorers. Just put a set on mine.

Back