Longer struts to lift 4th Gen - Expedition? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Longer struts to lift 4th Gen - Expedition?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Anyone know of anything longer then factory struts to lift a 4th Gen. I know the Rancho Quicklifts are out there (but from my understanding have been discontinued).

Theres a couple keyboard warriors on facebook that keep saying factory Expedition struts are longer and a direct bolt into to a 4th Gen. Then when i ask if they could send me a link to someone who has done it the answer i always get it "google" it. Ive never seen anyone post about using a longer strut (besides Ranchos) for lift so i was just wondering, has anyone done or tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you against using strut spacers (also called leveling kits)?

They mount to the top of your strut, effectively lengthening it.

Currently Run a 3" strut spacer lift and BTF arms- I was just wondering about longer struts as a possible upgrade in the future as im still using the original struts since they only had 70k miles on them when i installed the lift.

Attachments

• 20200926_181436.jpg
    20200926_181436.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 352

What about a body lift? With a 3” spacer lift already in I wouldn’t push those CV joints any further, and you are just moving closer to bottoming out the suspension.

If you use longer shocks, make sure they have enough upward travel or you will destroy them quickly.

Here is my 3rd gen, 2” spacer lift, 3” body lift & 265/75/16 (32x10.5) tires for 6” of lift over stock. I could easily fit 285/75/16 (33x11.5) tires but didn’t want to put the added stress on the driveline for 1/2” of lift.

C5DBE4F6-FB52-446D-8ACF-2C35635D50F7.jpeg

i was not looking to stack a 3" strut spacer on a longer strut.... i was looking to use a longer strut and eliminate the spacer, or run a shorter spacer and longer strut to maintain the 3" overall lift.

I was just honestly wondering if anyone did in fact use a longer strut (other then a Rancho) and if so, what was it from?

I may be putting a 1" body lift on my 08 to give me some more clearance for running a custom dual exhaust, but i wont go higher then a 1" body as im not a fan of seeing the frame.

Is there any way to increase wheel articulation/suspension travel? That's my biggest concern right now with the explorer. It's way too easy to end up on two wheels

Is there any way to increase wheel articulation/suspension travel? That's my biggest concern right now with the explorer. It's way too easy to end up on two wheels
One thing that is done for slow speed suspension articulation is to disconnect the sway bar, but you only want to do that for slow speed driving (below 20 mph, on a trail). It will help the one tire drop more to stay in contact with the ground. I just bought a 2010 and will probably copy some of the existing aftermarket sway bar disconnect designs that exist.

One thing that is done for slow speed suspension articulation is to disconnect the sway bar, but you only want to do that for slow speed driving (below 20 mph, on a trail). It will help the one tire drop more to stay in contact with the ground. I just bought a 2010 and will probably copy some of the existing aftermarket sway bar disconnect designs that exist.
Also - could you tell me what size tires you're running with your 3" BTF spacers on your 2008 Explorer and have you done any harsh trail riding that fully exersices the suspension? I've got a 2010 that I'm planning on trail riding, and I'd like to know what tires you were able to accommodate. If the tires are close to hitting anywhere, where is it? I'm also OK with trimming back fenders, etc.....

Thanks for your time,

Dave Miah

My advise

Dont turn the traction control off and good to go.
You dont need to worry about wheel to ground contact.
Thats all.there is no any problem with two wheels on the ground with Gen4 since the RSC algorithm acting almost like a real axle differential locker.

No really need for sway bar disconnect (and not safe at road driving) and longer struts etc.

Make sure going with constant acceleration pedal as well and you will be good.keep using the Low transfer gear ratio on medium level terrain.

I am going with 2.5 strut spacers,UCAs and stock size A/T wheels and struts.the RSC doing well the rest of the job..

Dont take em to the really high offroad level.Gen4 not designed for rock crawling or other high capability vehicles offroad roots.

Try to go offroad practice the RSC action and you will understand that all the upgrades mentioned are not really nessesary for offroad capabilites on this specific vehicle.

The maximum offroad upgrade package is the strut spacers and BTF UCA control arms and good to go offroad
20220125_163410.jpg

My advise

Thats all.there is no any problem with two wheels on the ground with Gen4 since the RSC algorithm acting almost like a real axle differential locker.

No really need for sway bar disconnect (and not safe at road driving) and longer struts etc.

Make sure going with constant acceleration pedal as well and you will be good.keep using the Low transfer gear ratio on medium level terrain.

I am going with 2.5 strut spacers,UCAs and stock size A/T wheels and struts.the RSC doing well the rest of the job..

Dont take em to the really high offroad level.Gen4 not designed for rock crawling or other high capability vehicles offroad roots.

Try to go offroad practice the RSC action and you will understand that all the upgrades mentioned are not really nessesary for offroad capabilites on this specific vehicle.

The maximum offroad upgrade package is the strut spacers and BTF UCA control arms and good to go offroadView attachment 425739
All good advise. What size tire do you know that works with the 2.5" spacers?

Mine is the stock factory 245/65/17 wheel size
no idea about non stock wheels fitment.sorry about that.

Well,try to use search here.

My advise

The maximum offroad upgrade package is the strut spacers and BTF UCA control arms and good to go off-road
There is no amount of electronic voodoo that will take the place of better articulation and tire contact. There’s nothing wrong or dangerous about disconnecting the sway bars.

There is no amount of electronic voodoo that will take the place of better articulation and tire contact. There’s nothing wrong or dangerous about disconnecting the sway bars.
If you did it on your explorer, could you share a pic of how you did it?

There is no external bump stops in Gen4 (the only one is the inner strut bumpstop)

Without sway bar connected ,the front control arm will hit the coil spring and maximum balljoint ,cv joint and control arms bushings angle will be exceeded.

Same same for the rear suspension.

Plus the lower strut bump stop not designed to impact manner stopping the whole suspension downwards...then you really will need longer struts lol.

I run 245/75-17 KO2s on stock rims, no wheel spacers. Last fall replaced the 11 year old struts with new kyb's and 3"/2" leveling kit, and BTF UCA's. I've had no issues with rubbing, happy with performance off and on pavement, and I love the stance.

lmao my front sway bar has been sitting in my garage for a few months now. I do notice it a little bit in turns, but the 4th gen handles so well for an SUV I don't find it at all unsafe, I've been up to 90 on the interstate(in Mexico ofc) and it felt fine

there was a post in the third gen forum for front coilovers by ADS suspension that took out the spacer but they were at a premium

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back