City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 WRX Limited
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/10/A01-55058.htm

b010-hurricane-0105y.jpg

This baby's got 2 Hemis

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

Yeah, that thang's got a Hemi. In fact, it's got two.

In a surprise move Sunday, DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group unveiled the Jeep Hurricane concept, a brawny off-roader powered by two of the automaker's famous V-8 engines and an answer to critics who believe the famously rugged Jeep brand is going soft.

"We haven't forgotten, nor will we ever forget, what makes a Jeep a Jeep," said Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche, standing next to the open-top monster at the 2005 North American International Auto Show.

Chrysler will more than double the Jeep lineup by 2007, beginning this year with a luxury SUV and later with expected car-based models, but Hurricane makes clear that Jeep is not ready to abandon its off-road heritage.

The Hurricane's two engines -- one in front, one back -- combine to make 670 horsepower, and offer 740 foot-pounds of torque. It has 14 inches of ground clearance, and does 0 to 60 in less than 5 seconds. The signature feature is a steering system that allows it to turn in a complete circle in the same spot.

While Hurricane is a concept, Zetsche said patents developed could show up on future Jeeps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a concept, it will never see public release.

i know that- it just seems wicked cool

Um, and what exactly do you need so much hp or torque for with a vehicle that weighs less than 4000 lbs? :eek:

And as for the steering. . .yeah, thats a nice feature. :rolleyes:

That thing brings a whole new meaning to doing donuts

EMG7895 said:
That thing brings a whole new meaning to doing donuts
Yeah, I want to see 740 ft-lbs of torque going through those four CV axles at that extreme angle. Would be very exciting. :D

Jefe said:
Yeah, I want to see 740 ft-lbs of torque going through those four CV axles at that extreme angle. Would be very exciting. :D
What would be exciting? The torque and horsepower or trying to figure out which county the cv's are going to end up in?

if it were red it would look like a crab....

Concepts that look mean + releasing luxury SUV and more car based vehicles = Not forgetting their off road heritage?

Hmmmm...the grand is now IFS, whic fits the new larger truck, The Rubicon Unlimited is a wicked off road vehicle, and the Liberty is like all the others (Xterra, 4 runner), so I guess they are down to one model thats off road capable.....the Wrangler and Wrangler Scrambler errrrrr I mean um Unlimited.....

I think it looks pretty damn sweet IMHO

The things got independant suspension all around. The only reason to buy a jeep is because it's supposed to have solid axles from the factory. This thing is the same as 3rd generation explorer with IFS and IRS. This thing just proves the DC has forgotten Jeep's foundation. If they remembered Jeep's foundation they definately wouldn't making jeeps with independant suspension.

Also, I bet if it ever gets made into a real vehicle and sold to the public, you won't even be able to get it with a stick, which is the other reason to buy a jeep.

Independant suspension is the future of off road, sorry to burts your bubble. Solid axles are great for providing traction, because the wheel in the air forces the wheel on the ground to dig harder, but a properly tuned independant suspension and low range all wheel drive system will be what will make its way into the rock crawling scene SOONER than later.....IMO

410Fortune said:
Independant suspension is the future of off road, sorry to burts your bubble. Solid axles are great for providing traction, because the wheel in the air forces the wheel on the ground to dig harder, but a properly tuned independant suspension and low range all wheel drive system will be what will make its way into the rock crawling scene SOONER than later.....IMO
That has been the talk for years. Solids definately have their limitations, and everyone can "see" how indys can overcome these limits, but outside of some VERY unique (and $$$$$$, and overengineered IMO) creations, I have yet to see anything that resembles what this future is going to be. I think indys are the future, but I also believe flying cars are the future, but I haven't seen any practical example of either yet.

410Fortune said:
Independant suspension is the future of off road, sorry to burts your bubble

Well, they've got a lot of work to do, because todays independant susp. systems just can't hold a candle to the solid axle or even TTB setup.... IMHO

So someday all the SAS people will be swapping their rigs back to IFS? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

there are quite a few IFS rock crawling rigs being built, and several in competition if I am not mistaken???

I presonally like what the desert guys are doing with A arm suspensions, look at the ground clearance, and articulation!!

You cant swap back to something thats custom from the ground up... :)

Its like the short wheelbase vs long wheelbase depbate, both have advantages and disadvantages, just depends on the section of terrain :)

Mattrax and that crazy TYCO Sidewinder thingy are the real future of our sport :)

When a truly great IFS system is created, it will most likely be $$$$$$ and only tested on comp rigs. From that point, it will take years to become affordable enough for average off-roaders to take advantage of. Also, a great amount of the advantages will only truly be a positive to true "rock crawling." Trail riders probably won't see any benefit, especially at the expense. SAS's will be a cake-walk compared to the time/expense of an IFS swap.

I am talking about tube frame purpose built buggies, designed to have A arms front and rear with center mounted diffs.
Also alot of the deseret guys build their own upper and lower arms in their garages, that bolt onto their truck frames.......it's really not that tricky, what is tricky is getting CV axles, steering, and everything dialed in....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Walker Evans was the only one running IFS/IRS in comps that i know of.... and he gave up and went solid a year or two ago. In the end, there is no way to make independent suspension work as good as a solid axle in rock crawling without using some type of forced articulation setup. Now everyone is using mogs and hybrids with some type of drop box on the outers so they are getting the ground clearance of independent with the articulated traction of a solid axle.

Back