Looking at a 02 Sport

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
So I had 4 1st gens,...my current one is just about done. I have been looking for a 3rd gen manual trans & found a 2002. 94K miles. SOHC engine 2WD sport.
So what up with these? Anything I need to be concerned of at 94K miles?
Does this newer SOHC have the issues the older ones did?
It's not going to be a DD. It will be used to haul things & driven 1 or times times/week.
Just looking for major things that might need to be done.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the thermostat housing make sure it's not leaking or seeping, check the valve covers for leaks, and also check the body mounts.

The manual transmission parts are not readily available. If the clutch goes out, you could be down for a week or more waiting on parts.

Really? M5R1HD?

M5OD-R1HD? Don't know. Historically parts haven't been available. Except for some random "dude."

Anyway, I now see that NAPA auto parts sells clutch, flywheel and other parts.

It appears the transmission is available in the Ranger from 01-11 or something.

After searching around I see a lot of similar issues the 1st & 2nd gens have the 3rd gens also have...way to keep a track record ford...

So I guess it's going to come down to just luck if I get a good engine? Is that about right?
Does the SOHC leak oil from the oil pan? Or the rear main?

The 4.0 V6 can and has been a problematic engine.

Between 112-117k miles I needed to overhaul all of the timing chain components (expensive) and I needed an oil pan gasket.

My research shows the 2 door sport is regular 23 spline...The 4 door's had the other ones....
At least that is what I see unless I am misunderstanding?

Back