Looking at a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

JabroniBro1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
As the title states, I'm considering purchasing a '96 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with the V6 for $1500. It is a two owner vehicle with 164k miles. It looks incredible for its age both inside and out. Obviously I'll be doing a PPI before buying, but does it sound like a good deal? I know the transmissions go out on these things around this time. Is it a $2k fix? Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love mine, owned it for ages. Are you in a salt belt state? Look for rusty rear spring shackles, fluid lines, brake, PS, transmission, etc. Frames don't seem to rust out, very good quality.

Suspension(Ball Joints) and wheel bearings could be worn if not replaced.
Replace the idler pulley.
There are other little things like the blend door (check that heat and a/c works), but it is a survivor.

OHV is the best V6 engine, after 96 the SOHC was optioned, no one here would suggest it. Bad part is it isn't the most powerful, but not bad with the right gearing (you can check the ax code on the door).

If you can get Forscan software(it is free) it will do a deep scan on every system in the truck, just need one of the obd-2 adapters that work with Fords (like 10-20 bucks). I have the BAFX one, there are many though. You can also look at the individual misfire counts, some of these engines have cracks in the head (not a terribly difficult procedure) and you could see if that is a problem.

The transmission is around that price, hopefully it was well maintained (30k fluid changes) and you may get some more time out of it. The 96 was the last year of the 4spd(after that they were 5sp, mostly changes to software, but causes more wear and tear). I believe 95-96 are the most reliable v6 transmissions. Not perfect, but they have the best chance of surviving. Install a cooler if possible. I was able to fit quite a large one.

Unless it is in pristine condition, I would say closer to $1000 is fair.

Thanks for all the great information! I will be taking the vehicle to an independent mechanic for an inspection before purchase. The interior really does look showroom new. I'm hoping the owner has some maintenance records on hand. My biggest worry is that my $1500car will become a $3500 car due to the transmission going out a week after I buy it.

Thanks for all the great information! I will be taking the vehicle to an independent mechanic for an inspection before purchase. The interior really does look showroom new. I'm hoping the owner has some maintenance records on hand. My biggest worry is that my $1500car will become a $3500 car due to the transmission going out a week after I buy it.
No problem!

Your worry is not unrealistic. Could go tomorrow or in 5 years. You never know.
If you can find one with a V8, you would be much better off at this point.

Also make sure the 4wd system works perfectly, both auto and low. Auto should work, test on dirt. Test by putting it in neutral, brake, and 4low. There is a chance if it is messed up you may have to cycle the ignition, or it may even break, especially if it was never used. Maybe even don't test if you never intend to use it.

A T-case isn't cheap either.

The transfer case in mine went bad for some reason when my parents my 96. Elderly who only put it in 4WD in winter as needed. No off-roading. That was pry before 75K also. Other than that, replacing the radiator was pry the next biggest issue.

If you plan on keeping it any appreciable amount of time, I’d plan on a transmission rebuild,even if it’s not original.

Good replies. Would you guys recommend this Explorer or a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer edition 5.4 V8 (but only 2wd). Does anyone know if those have the same transmission issues? The Expedition has 133k miles.

The transmission behind the 5.4 is much more stout, but those years were prone to spitting their spark plugs and/ or having very little meat on the heads for the threads to go into I believe.

Back