Looking at a 99 eddie bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 99 eddie bauer

chinweasle

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My wife and I are looking at a 1999 explorer eddie bauer edition. 5.0 AWD. This will be my wifes DD/kid hauler, any off-roading will be done in my ZR2. What can you guys tell me about this set up? any pro's, cons... what to look out for etc...

Thanks!

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 explorers turn to be the most reliable engine-tranmission combo.

drive it around, check fluid color and look for any weard noises.the only think that i think about it is the front driveshaft which need replacement at about 150000 miles.

also if you are not offoading and you don't have a lot of snow then look into 2wd because awd kill the gas mileage.

at the end of the day if the price is right and everything looks good go for it.

by the way how many miles has?

we do get snow... not as much as we used to, but we're out in the boonies and live about 1800ft off the road, so when it snows, a 2wd, or a car won't cut it.

miles are a tad on the high side @ 92k, but the price is ok, we'll get them to come down more though.

If its only got 92k your golden if its been maintained. Mine has 120k still going strong.

seems it has been... the motor looks clean enough to eat off of. Pulls real strong too. My ex step-dad is the service manager at the dealership, so we're going to talk to him about it before we make a final decision.

then go for it.

my opinion lowball him.

tell him that you have only $5000.00 and wait till he calls you back.

good luck

Well, we bought it and took it for it's first long trip this weekend. It's much more comfy to ride in than either of our GM vehicles (but ones a ZR2, and one has been lowered) It's got more features than I'm used to, and its nice to have a moonroof again (even though it's to cold to open right now) a few little things that need to be addressed... the display on the factory unit went out, dealership says it's a fuse on the back of the radio? no biggie... I can fix it, or I'll end up replacing it. And the built in sub is blown, no biggie.. it can be replaced.

over all I'm extremely happy. We ended up paying 2k under Kbb.

Back