Looking at a Ranger, could use some help though. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a Ranger, could use some help though.

Aftermarket

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ranger XL
Hey all. Nice site you guys and gals have here. Greetings from up north in hockey country.

Anyways, I could use some help. Am new to the truck scene, and have had my eye on getting a Ranger (wife has a Focus, so can't go wrong getting another Ford for the household. ;) ), although I'm not sure as to what to get.

I have had my eye on getting a newer model, used or new. Preferrably '93 or newer (like the styling). In my area, there is a lot of models available, some ext cabs and some "plainer" versions.

My question is...is there some years/models that you should stay away from (problems that have occurred) and some that you should try to stick with? Is there some main mechanical problems or past history with some years/models that could be a concern? A certain engine that is better/worse than others? I just need to know what's good, what isn't.

BTW, this is a daily driver for me, mostly a street truck. Not a whole lot of pounding it into the ground or anything like that. I like to baby my vehicles a little. 4 wheel drive is not a concern, and oddly enough, I think i'd get a reg cab model. Not sure why I'd not get an ext cab. Flareside beds would look great too.

Anyways, I'm new to this, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction. All the suggestions and help I can get will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site man! another great site, similar to this one, but ranger oriented is www.therangerstation.com. they are a great bunch of guys, and have been real helpful to me. Anyways, ive owned 2 rangers, both a 93 and a 97. They both had the 4.0 V-6, which is an excellent motor. Rangers also come with the bulletproof 3.0 V-6, but it is a little underpowered in the four wheel drive models. And, as always, there is a couple of available 4-bangers, all of which are slow, but very dependable. Basically, on the manual transmission rangers, the slave cylinder on the clutch has a tendencey to go. This did not happen to me on my first ranger, but it has happened to a lot of my buddies with rangers. The automatic transmissions are pretty good, but have a tendency to die if not maintained. Just make sure the tranny fluid is in good shape, and that it has had proper maitnence before buying one. Basically, me and all of my friends drive rangers, and ive had expierence with basically every possible setup of the 93-2000 rangers.

ive owned :
1993 4.0 5 speed 2wd. 165,000 miles and only needed to replace clutch once, brakes a few times, and tires. No major problems.
1997 4.0 Auto 4x4. 100,000 so far, and with the exception of the fact that i rolled it a few weeks ago, it is still in excellent shape. Never had to replace anything.

and my friends have:

1995 4.0 5 speed 4x4. Clutch slave cylinder went a few times within the last 20,000, but i blame it on his crappy mechanic. Besides that, everything is original.
1996 4cyl 5 speed 2x4. 130,000, slow as hell, never replaced anything, EVER.
1996 4.0 5 speed 4x4. Clutch went, but he is awful at driving standard, so i blame it on him and not the truck.
2000 3.0 5 speed 4x4. Slow, but the motor wont die. Clutch has gone twice, and its only got 75,000 on it.

I am 6'4" tall, and drive a regular cab ranger. If you are as tall as me, go with the extended cab. It isnt exactly comfortable in there if your a big guy. Otherwise, get the reg cab. I noticed you live in canada, and since these little trucks are AWFUL in the snow, id suggest a 93-97 3.0 5 speed 4x4. Good looking truck, and since gas is about 3.50 a gallon up there, the 19MPG will help out a lot. the 4.0 is a must if you plan on off roading, or trailering anything heavier than say, a couple of four wheelers, but it isnt as good on gas as the 3.0. I also suggest the 5 speed, because it is more fun than the auto ;). but either tranny is a good choice.

hope that helps out man! good luck!

I just bought a used 97 stepside supercab and love it. I would only recommend an extended cab for storage and extra interior room. You can also recline the seat.

Colorado is Hockey country now since we stole the Nordic's :)

Welcome and you cannot go wrong with a 4.0L, 5 speed Ranger 93-97 IMO

Thanks for the advice and tips so far.

Went out the other day to a number of dealerships and took a gander at a few.

This one stood out in my mind.

Ford Ranger

good looking truck. also, the three litre can run on ethanol, which is a plus. it seems kinda pricey, but im not sure if that is canadian dollars or american dollars. just gotta watch out for the master cylinders on those trucks, buy it if you like it!

The clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave cylinder??

I have a '95 2.3 and it would be very slow if i lived in the moutains. My truck wont die, 140,000 miles and counting.....still running strong. Never had any major issues w/ it either!

i have a 2002 Ranger XLT with the 3.0L and i love it. in regards to the 3.0L being flex fuel, not all of them are. i don't have a flex fuel 3.0L.

a GREAT site to check out is www.generation-edge.com
there is TONS of people on there that can help you out with questions

I just bought a 94 ranger, 5sp 2wd 4cyl for my daily driver. I ve had it for a few days and i love the thing. Gets great mpg and the motors are pretty reliable. I like everything about it except that damn heatshield rattle! Rangers or explorers are money well spent in my opinion!

Okay, well after a few weeks of looking around the countryside, I cam up with this one, and took it home Tuesday.

463.jpg

'02 Ranger XL, regular cab, 3.0L V6, 5 speed, air, mint condition, 48,000 kms on it, still having balance of the warranty.

I had an 84 ranger with the 4banger in it and loved it. Yeah it was slow, but it was my first truck so I loved it. My next vehicle (within a year or so i'm estimating) will be a used (but not too used) ranger. Hows the milage with the 3.0? I'll be wanting something better than the expo which will be getting an sas and used more for offroad/weekend driver. I thought the ranger would be a great little truck to use as a commuter/hauler. I might have to get an extended cab though since my legs are pretty long and will need the room. Anyway, i'm not meaning to hijack the thread or anything. I loved my little ranger, it ran forever, even after I took it though backwater and the rear started floating away, my little ranger chuged it's way though (while i prayed frantically!) water over the headlights. WOW i was dumb as a young'n lol

Good Luck
CP :D

Looks like a great truck! Congratulations!

Nice wheels man!!! And btw no one cares about the Nordiuqes anymore, we got the FLAMES!!!!! GO FLAMES GO

nice lookin truck man. good job.

The clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave cylinder??

sorry man, mis worded on my part. the clutch slave cylinder.

if you are looking for some new rims i have the OEM ones that look like yours but are chrome if you are interested

Pics??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back