Looking at a Ranger

Muskrat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Califon, NJ USA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger STX
I found a 98 Ranger, standard cab, shortbed, 4x4, 5spd, 3.0L. 40k for 8000. I was wondering if this is a good deal, I think it is, and how well could I wheel with this truck?
Any information or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Shaun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally i would hold out for a 97 or older with the TTB front axle and find one with a 4.0 instead. The 98 up fronts dont flex at all and are super pricy to lift and dont get much out of them. The 3.0 isnt the best powerhorse eather. I prefer my 2.9 over them plus parts for the 4.0 for performance are cheaper to find. Also with the 4.0 you get a 8.8 rear instead of a 7.5 rear.

Matt

My thoughts exactly, Matt. :)

I guess I'll have to hold off, but right now, I'm thinking anything is better than a 2.3L. Thanks for the advise
Later,
Shaun

I have a 2002 and mine flexes real good. That's the back, front not too much. If I was gonna try and build one it would prolly be the 97' and older. Definetly get the 4.0L.

Go with a 98+ ranger the handeling with the new suspension is far better than the twin idiot beam suspension on the older ones. I use to have a 91 explorer with all new front end parts then in Janurary I traded it in on a 2000 ranger 4x4 off road model, the handeling on the ranger was so much better due to new suspension and steering design. I highly doubt a stock older ranger will wheel better than a 98+ ranger, 98+ 4x4 off road has more ground clearence than any older model ranger too.

Originally posted by D
Go with a 98+ ranger the handeling with the new suspension is far better than the twin idiot beam suspension on the older ones. I use to have a 91 explorer with all new front end parts then in Janurary I traded it in on a 2000 ranger 4x4 off road model, the handeling on the ranger was so much better due to new suspension and steering design. I highly doubt a stock older ranger will wheel better than a 98+ ranger, 98+ 4x4 off road has more ground clearence than any older model ranger too.

UH, handling is not an issue here. Offroadability is what he asked about. For sure the the pre-98's are better offroad than the newer ones.

Yeah, I'm definately more concerned with off roading, than cornering. I had a Bronco II, anything is better than this was, bad springs, shocks, tires, think my axle shifted, leaned to the drivers side when parked, felt like it would roll over when passed... Any how, I found a 97 STX super cab, 4.0, 5spd Man. T-case, looks like 130k highway miles. The truck is real nice, but I'm concerned with the mileage. They want $8k for it. Any one know what the STX package consists of, would it have a limited slip rear? I felt like it, but I'm not sure, couldn't really test it out in 4x4. Thanks for all the help,
Later,
Shaun

Thanks, I'm goin to check the tag onm the diff today, and look it up in the axle codes. I think I'm going to take it. I'm pretty sure this was taken care of, the undercarraige is spotless.
Later,
Shaun

What ever you pick, DON"T get a 3 liter engine. You won't like it! I wish my Ranger had a 4 liter instead of the 3.0.:(

I checked the diff tag the other day, 3L73. Yippie! Limited Slip 3.73 gears, 4.0L 5spd man. man transfercase, man. locking hubs, pw, pdl, p mirr. A/C, Lumbar support, and ex cab. I'm going to try to get it tomorrow. :)

Back