• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a used 2013 Sport

ThunderFan

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can offer me some opinions. We currently own a 2013 Limited and have really enjoyed it. We bought it used and it has been trouble free for the 25k miles we've owned it. It does have the shift to park issue but I consider that a minor problem. Anyway, we're looking at adding this 2013 Sport and becoming a 2 Explorer family since the Explorer fits our family needs perfectly. The Sport has everything we wanted but didn't get on the Limited...moonroof, 2nd row buckets, power liftgate, heated and cooled seats, etc. Plus, of course, the ecoboost.

The Sport we're looking at has right at 48k miles. I've never purchased a brand new car in my life. Probably never will. I prefer to buy 2-3 years old, but I've never purchased one with this many miles. I went and drove it the other day and was really impressed. The interior is immaculate. The exterior looks great, too. I had to look extremely closely to try and find any kind of scratch, rock chip, etc. and really couldn't find any. The engine was nice and strong. Very apparent how much more power the ecoboost has over the N/A V6 when you get on the throttle. It seems the previous owner took very good care of it. It's a 1-owner car, no rental or fleet history. No accidents, either.

All that brings me to my question: is there anything specific to the Sport I should be looking out for? I plan on driving it at least one more time before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should look out for on the next test drive. Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or advice you can offer. Here's a link to the one I'm looking at:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/662444087/overview/

Similar to buying any used vehicle.
Make sure there's up to date service record and any existing recalls completed.
Bring it to a preferred garage for a thorough inspection and take it from there.

Same as 613GT500 stated plus I would try to find out why the original owner got rid of it so soon. I also find that the asking price is kind of high, but hopefully you can work a deal with the dealership that you both are comfortable with.
Good Luck!

Same as 613GT500 stated plus I would try to find out why the original owner got rid of it so soon. I also find that the asking price is kind of high, but hopefully you can work a deal with the dealership that you both are comfortable with.
Good Luck!

Thank you! Yes, I have already got them to come down off the listed price. I won't be paying what they're asking if I decide to purchase.

Back