Looking at another vehicle, 3rd Gen owners, chime in! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at another vehicle, 3rd Gen owners, chime in!

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I'm looking at purchasing another vehicle for the next 'stage' of my life. Those that recognize my name probably know it's been a long time since I've been a very active member on this site and I am turning back to it to get even more.

I have my 2001 Ford Ranger which I've slammed, thrown some Cobra wheels on and done up pretty well but I need something with more room that maybe in a few years can haul some kids around. This need has led me back into the Explorer world.

Here is what I'm looking at (in general, I have nothing specific picked out):
-Third Generation Explorer
-V8 Automatic RWD

I know the rear hatch crack is basically 100% going to happen if it hasn't. But what else should I look out for? What needs to be looked at? I don't plan on doing ANYTHING except the basics:
-Wheels
-Exhaust
-Intake
-Tune
This will all be done more to enhance the ride and looks, but the tune will be to liven up the engine, not so much to lay skid marks in parking lots.

So what else are these vehicles known for that the internet isn't telling me? Transmission? Rear end? Window motors? What?!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel bearings (front and back), transmissions, Engines(4.0 & some issues with 4.6), rear ends, heater blend door(AC & heat issue), and some other minor electrical. I have done a lot to my 04 in the 6 months I have had it. I bought with blown engine as a project and am working through its issues. They are easy enough to work on that's the good part of the many issues.

Wheel bearings (front and back), transmissions, Engines(4.0 & some issues with 4.6), rear ends, heater blend door(AC & heat issue), and some other minor electrical. I have done a lot to my 04 in the 6 months I have had it. I bought with blown engine as a project and am working through its issues. They are easy enough to work on that's the good part of the many issues.

Awe-some!

Definitely helps that I work for a parts store (HUGE discount) and I went to automotive school. I've been reading up on the transmission issues and I think lack of maintenance is causing these bad boys to go sooner. I'm wondering if a cooler (if it doesn't have one or a better cooler) would help with this. Also a more rigorous fluid change schedule.

Other then that though they seem pretty solid.

Other then that though they seem pretty solid.

They're just kids who misbehave sometime if you don't keep on top of them. Healthy discipline, a good diet, and visits to the doctor and these brats are good to go.

I've had mine for almost two years now and haven't had to replace anything more than the blend-door actuator. (edit: AND that's considering it slammed right into a telephone pole once)

Well worth it for the mechanically inclined.

-Dubya

The '02s had some growing pains, many had broken rear springs which should be fixed by now, along with some transmission issues. The V8s are pretty reliable, but some of the earlier 3rd gens have spark plugs that have blown out of the block. In regards to the rear hatch crack, some were replaced under warranty and they used the proper adhesive that would allow for the heat expansion, but they are few and far between. The maintenance interval that ford originally specified was crazy, especially with the "sealed" transmission.

My wife's '04 with V6 w/ 4x4 it has been really solid. Recent issue was the rear wheel bearings had to replaced. Truck has around 85k. We maintain it like crazy to keep it running strong. I had all fluids (tranny, diff., transfer case) flushed @50k. Oil is changed every 5k. Other repairs have been the rear speed sensor around 70k, and the thermostat housing cracked and started leaking a bit of coolant so it was replaced. Both easy repairs. We have not experienced the cracked rear panel. Our truck is garage kept and most of the miles are vacation/weekend driving related with a relatively small percentage being commuter miles. Overall happy with the truck. And I agree with you on the transmission. I know Ford said to wait to 100k to service it, but that is WAY too long to wait!!

Back