Looking at shocks, only have one ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at shocks, only have one ?

NoBoundaries

ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Alrighty, I am now on my way to purchasing some shocks. Here is what I have in mind: OME Nitro Chargers, Edelbrocks, and Bilsteins. I have searched and could not find an answer to this. My only question is how much do the OME Nitro Chargers cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tim,
I think the OME shocks are around 200 bucks. You might want to talk to 4x4 Connection in Sterling, VA (4 miles north of Dulles airport), they carry all OME products. They are specialized in Toyotas and Land Rovers, so they might not have your precise thing in their catalog but they get you what ever you need (and unlike some J**p SHOPS, they don't mind Explorers)

http://www.4x4connection.com

More information about the OME shocks you find at http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/omeshocks.htm

Thanks Michael! I might just run down there and get them if they have it, rather then wait till after x-mas. I'm so impatient!

Crap!!

I just got off the phone with a place that sells OME shocks. I was told that they would cost $97.00 per front shock and $65.00 per rear shock. They said that the front shocks were a special design and that they cost more because of it. Is this a bunch of crap or is this realy the case? Let me know as soon as possible as I am looking to make the purchase now! Thanks for the help guys!

They ARE expensive

Tim,

I just browsed some mainly Land Rover and Toyota pages and outfitters, because these are OME's main target vehicles. Prices I found were between $84.94 and $125.39 for front and between $79.99 and $84.94 for rear shocks. Are you saying that these are the prices per shock, not per pair as I always assumed? If this is the case, then they are expensive. And yes, there are several models, specially for Toyotas, where the OME front shocks are considerably more expensive than the rear. I don't know exactly why.

[Edited by donkey boy on 12-22-2000 at 10:38 AM]

They are the price per shock. I was first told that the fronts would be $126 each and boy did my butt pucker. I figured that would be for both shocks. I was surpriced they were so expensive. The guy at 4x4 Connection told me $65 each, I don't think he checked his price list very well, they are closed till Jan. 2nd though. I hae some decision making o do now, and balamce the cost versus the benefits. Still not sure what the heck to do!

Have any of you guys checked out ARB yet? http://www.arb.com.au/ I called them a month or two ago at the US distibutor they list in their site, and I was quoted $72 per shock (stock length). The rep didn't state any difference in price front or rear. He gave me a part # of N16 for fronts, and N17 for rears. The phone number is 206-264-1669, and email is sales@arbusa.com .

[Edited by RytM1 on 12-23-2000 at 10:00 AM]

Tim,
Tom Wilks has them and I'm sure that he didn't pay such an outragious price. I think he even gave the number of the place where he bought them.

I'll try to get in touch with Tom. I talked a little and the lowest price I got was $97 for the fronts and $65 for the rears. $97 is still prett darn high, and evidently below the list price. I'm not sure what to do now, after you gave your opinion of them Ray, I had pretty much decided that they were the ones I was going for. Does $97 sound better, or should it still be lower? Thanks for the help guys!

Tim,
I really couldn't tell, since I didn't have to pay for mine. What I can tell you, is you won't be a sorry, because They are very very good shocks. After taking them down a washboard road for 20 miles they didn't even fade out.

Tim,
Did you meanwhile get your shocks? If yes, how much did you ended up paying, if you don't mind me asking?

I have yet to make a purchase, but I will soon. I want to find out more about the Edelbrock IAS' coming out in 2001. I think I am going to go with the Edelbrocks, it seems that you can't get anywhere lower than $100 per for the front and $65 per for the rear. I just can't justify that kind of a purchase for shocks that are marginally better than the Edelbrocks.

Back