• Register Today It's free!

Looking at V8 sport trac.

mountaineerbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Socorro, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
So i have some questions for you people that have the v8 sport trac with 4wd.
I know it would probably be faster to just look it up, but i would like answers from people who own one first hand.

Does it have a solid rear axle?
Did Ford still use torsion bar with it?
What kind of common problems do these newer sport tracs have?
How good is the 4wd?
How much ground clearance?
How comfortable is the interior? Driver, passenger and rear seats
How durable is the transmission in one of these?
Is it possible to get in with a manual transmission?
Did they only start putting the v8 in the sport trac in 2007 and on?
How well can it tow its max rating?
What kind of fuel economy do they get?
Is it a uninbody or frame and chassis?
Finally, about how fast are they?

So i have some questions for you people that have the v8 sport trac with 4wd.
I know it would probably be faster to just look it up, but i would like answers from people who own one first hand.

Does it have a solid rear axle? No, independent rear suspension

Did Ford still use torsion bar with it? Not sure

What kind of common problems do these newer sport tracs have? Cracked exhaust manifold, leaking 3rd brake light, cracked radiator...I haven't had any of these at 59k miles

How good is the 4wd? Its 4x4, can they be bad? I've pulled stuff in 4x4 and no issues, also never been stuck

How much ground clearance? Lower than a truck, its based off an explorer with a lower frame

How comfortable is the interior? Driver, passenger and rear seats Comfortable to me and my girl, and dog in the backseat

How durable is the transmission in one of these? Its a 6 speed, so far at 59k miles I've had no problem except a TSB reflash to fix a downshifting problem

Is it possible to get in with a manual transmission? Never heard of one

Did they only start putting the v8 in the sport trac in 2007 and on? Yes

How well can it tow its max rating? Never maxed it out, but some guys on here have towed a large trailer and car with no problems

What kind of fuel economy do they get? Crappy, I personally get 13-14 city, 17-18 highway, 18-21 driving around 60

Is it a uninbody or frame and chassis? I think frame and chassis but not sure

Finally, about how fast are they? Its a V8, it's got good acceleration, ive never had a problem passing somebody...never gone over 78, I have a sportbike for faster speeds

hope that helps, other people should chime in if I'm wrong or add more info

They have independent rear suspension,there is no positraction rear end on these, Front torsion bars are gone, full frame,very comfortable as a road vehicle. Mine has the towing package and does just fine.I have not had any probs with the 6 speed auto once it was reflashed. Mine is pretty quick for a truck,it's not a Mustang or a Lightning...I'm satisfied with the power and fuel mileage.
Hope that answers your questions. By the way, imo, they are much better than the Gen.1 ST. I had an 01 and an 05, both of which were fantastic vehicles, they just don't compare with the V8.

Awesome little truck. Gas mpg is horrible and I'm waiting on the infamous cracked radiator.

Back