Looking for: 2001 Explorer Sport Chrome Gas Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for: 2001 Explorer Sport Chrome Gas Door

2001explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have yet to see a chrome gas door for a 2001 explorer sport (newer model), any one have an idea where I can find one? (or does anyone have one)

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that most people get them from Mustangs, and they work for Explorers... :thumbsup:

thanks Mylo, I will have to look into that

anyone have similar experienceS?

2001explorer said:
thanks Mylo, I will have to look into that

anyone have similar experienceS?

i dont think they will fit the sport, because of the way the fender flares, i could be wrong though.

-Rich

That's what I've heard too. The fuel door cuts into the flare contour, so you'd need a door with the same contour.

hmmm, i think it is a lost cause

unless i want to go as far and put a sticker from another model... then it looks cheap

What others said. Look at the shape of your existing fuel door. Doesn't lend itself to replacement like earlier Explorers do. I've used Mustang doors on my '00 Sport and now my '99 Eddie Bauer with no problem.

Here's a picture of mine. It's wrapped in C/F vinyl. You can't tell it's vinyl until you study it, and most people can't tell til they open the door. Been on there for a few years now, and I like it.
490124_220_full.jpg

celly said:
What others said. Look at the shape of your existing fuel door. Doesn't lend itself to replacement like earlier Explorers do. I've used Mustang doors on my '00 Sport and now my '99 Eddie Bauer with no problem.

thanks celly, yeah I think I might have to take a look around.. the contour of the gas door is different than a mustang, or older model explorer..

-fellow calgarian

au01st said:
Here's a picture of mine. It's wrapped in C/F vinyl. You can't tell it's vinyl until you study it, and most people can't tell til they open the door. Been on there for a few years now, and I like it.
490124_220_full.jpg

and that really looks great, i would love to get some chrome covering in vinyl.. i will have to look around. thanks for the idea

2001explorer said:
and that really looks great, i would love to get some chrome covering in vinyl.. i will have to look around. thanks for the idea

you can buy that chrome at any autozone, advanced auto, pepboys, murray etc. All it is is chrome looking vinyl with a self adhesive backing. I thought about doing this, but only if i went all out bling factor. If your gonna do it you should have chrome rims, chrome pillars, chrome door handles and the chrome grill in the front, if you did all that it would look very escalade style or ricey, not sure as I have never seen it done on an 01 sport, however the parts are out there. If you do anything post some pics :D

-Rich

2001explorer said:

I agree au0st. That looks pretty good.

Back