looking for a tranny for an 04 subaru, any advice on the best place to look? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for a tranny for an 04 subaru, any advice on the best place to look?

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey all, my parents have a 2004 subaru forester X with an auto tranny that is just about toasted. i was planning on just getting rid of it for them, but other then the bad tranny, the car is in pristine condition. i mean pristine. the carpets and interior look brand new, and there isnt one visible scratch or dent in it. so here i am trying to do some research on the best way to get my hands on a new or rebuilt tranny. id like to install it myself if possible, but where would be a good place to start looking for a tranny to a relatively new japanese car? ive already went and did a search at all the salvage yards within 100 miles of where i live, and no luck. its a spare car, and i have room in my garage to put it on jacks and learn how to try and do this myself. i think it would be fun and i would learn a ton, but the first thing im trying to figure out is where i would go about looking for a new tranny for this thing.

any ideas!? anyone have to swap a tranny for a subaru, or another japanese import before? how much should i be looking to spend for a rebuilt tranny?

Back