Looking for advice? 99 EB bad tranny and timing chain rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for advice? 99 EB bad tranny and timing chain rattle

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I am looking for opinions on what to do with my truck. It is a 1999 Eddie Bauer, the timing chains started rattling bad about a month ago and last week reverse failed. I have invested about 6 months of work converting the truck to Dana 44 TTB and it rides great and is a blast offroad but is it worth fixing? I only paid $850 for the truck and I am considering parting it out.

Advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am shocked that no one has an opinion about this.

It's pretty easy. Can you do the engine work and replace the trans? If so it's a no brainer to fix it up. I assume since you did a SAS you're competent enough to do so. Otherwise part it out or list it on here as hole.

My dilemma is that I don't want to go through dealing with the timing chain issue again since it was repaired once by ford and is now having the same problem, I don't feel confident in rebuilding the tranny myself nor do I have the time to invest. I can buy a used tranny for $500-600 but still might be going through this again soon. I got a quote for a rebuild of $1200 from local shop that has a good reputation.

I have done engine swaps before and the 5.0L seems attractive but I can't find a donor vehicle so far since it would be best to get a complete doner so I have all the parts. Those that have done the 5.0L swap, was it worth it financially?

Thanks for helping me make a decision.

Find a donor 5.0 explorer mountaineer, or rebuild what yup have maybe the dealership didn't replace everything. Not all dealer are reliable.

I think the 5.0 swap is my best option. I have not yet been able to locate a donor truck since it would be preferred to have the whole truck. I have posted in the wanted section but I know that doesn't get checked much. So if anyone has a lead on a donor truck please let me know.

Find a donor 5.0 explorer mountaineer, or rebuild what yup have maybe the dealership didn't replace everything. Not all dealer are reliable.

I'm betting only the front tensioner was serviced? The rear one is probably what is giving you problems. When you replace the trans it's a perfect time to service the rear cassette as the trans has to be out to get to a bolt.

You can easily take care of both at one time! :D

You may be right about the chain tensioners. That still doesn't address the fact that I will have to pay $1200 for a tranny rebuild and not have any better tranny than it was before. Maybe I could repair the 4.0 and sell it.

Sounds like your mind was made up before you made this thread?

Sounds like your mind was made up before you made this thread?

Your sig says you have had a V8 Ex and a V6, which did you prefer?

I just don't have much faith in the 5r55e after reading about all the failures and talking to the transmission shop.

BTW I have 1354M now but I would need a 4406 if I do the 5.0.

Maybe I should take another look at a M5OD-R1HD swap with the V6.

I have had all the generations of explorers and none are perfect, I like the 1997 V8 truck I used to have just hated the mileage but I have heard most of that is fixed with the 4406.

I liked the V8. Very reliable and I loved the AWD. I like have the manual in the '94.

on my 99 i just did fluid flush filter change and some lucas oil additive for the trans and the runs great cant even feel the shifting. however my engine was a different story i let the timing chain issue go and ended up slipping a few teeth on the cams and ruining the engine. i had it replaced with a new one from jasper and now with only 516miles on it i basically feel like im driving a new car. i love my explorer and i cant part with it no matter what troubles it gives me and i paid about 5000$ for it to be this way. cheaper then a new car and now i feel its even more reliable because i worked out all the problems (minus some custom exhaust work and minor electrical stuff such as bad wireing on the dome lights ) i feel its worth it but again thats me with my ex. its all how you feel with yours.

I appreciate the feedback, I am still looking for good deals on parts to repair possibly but it doesn't look good. If I have to put more than $1000 + 70-80 hours labor into it is going to really hard to justify.

then sell it, your probably going to spend that much in money but im not so sure about time. but i think it would be worth it to try.

I am still searching for a good deal on parts, I have found a possibility buying a wrecked 2011 Ranger, anyone know if I can make the Ranger parts work in my explorer? I think the computer connectors are totally different on the newer rangers but it would be great to move the whole package into my truck and then my Explorer would only have 20k miles on the drivetrain and the timing chains should not be an issue on the new 4.0L correct?

Back