• Register Today It's free!

looking for advice

abugner

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4x4 Limited
Last year, I finally got my 1993 Explorer Limited back from my wife after 13 years and 140,000 miles. I was going to sell it and get a Jeep, but after seeing how expensive Jeeps are, and seeing a modified 1993 Explorer with a body lift kit, tubular front bumper, and 33x12.5 tires, I have decided to convert my family cruiser into an off-road toy. I don't want to go too radical, just get some more ground clearance, and maybe 31x10.5 tires. My question is, where to start with modifications, body lift kit, how high, or....suspension lift kit, same question. can I use stock alloy wheels, and if not, what wheels would work well with that size tire. that's where I am going to start. any suggestions would be appreciated..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. If you don't want to go too radical you can do f150 spacers on the front and add a leaf and or shacles in the rear. This will net you about 1.5 to 2 inches of lift. 31 inch tires will fit on your stock rims and have plenty of clearance with a lift like this. Some people can even clear 31s without a lift.
Use the search feature on this site and you will find a wealthspring of knowledge. Good luck with your project.

hmmm was the explroer you talk about green? haha, im up in norcal..... there are tons of them up here with that setup and it looks quite good too..... i wish i still had a fully functional explorer...... or a sa 4runner

thanks for the suggestions. I will search the site as you suggested.

thanks for the suggestions. I will search the site as you suggested. what length shakles would you recommend?

The warrior shackles are what most on this site use. They are part number war153 and can be found for about $60. You can also get a set of universal shackles from auto zone for about $15. Most everyone here use the warriors because they are built strong and are easy to install. There is even a write up on their installation on this forum. Warriors are only one size. If i'm not mistaken the universal ones from auto zone have a few bolt holes for some slight adjustment in size.

I need some help with my brakes! Trying to change front rotor on 91 Eddie Bauer. What tool takes off rotor? Quick response please.

well wut i did was a coil spacer for the front coils, and a combination of a procomp AAL and warrior shackles.. i wanted xactly wut you do...and gotwhat i wanted..the rear is sliiightyly higher because of the combo lift..but i think it looks good and agressive..if anything i would suggest getting a 2in coil lift up front instead of a spacer..just made better, better ride/look, easier..little more expensive. eassssily clear 31s with any of this..warrior shackles on theirsite 55 bux..procomp AAL on summit for $35..and couil spacers $30 bux maybe on ebay..i think the whole skyjacker 2in kit all around is under 200bux tho..you could def justdo that..and i believe just the lift coils up front are rather reasonable frommost liftcompanies,and combine that withthe AAL and the shackleinthe rear,would be great..probably wouldnthav too bad a camber or alignment either..theres an entire step x step on this site..great write up for the AAL install...i would suggest searching for it and using it for sure..

good suggestion with the cheap alternative fo the autozone shackles..but do you like to frabricatE? kuz the only safe way to use summa those things is to weld up a support strut to connect them the way the warriors and most shackles are made..they will bend, and are just all around crappy..for the money get the strong, welded, thick walled steel, powder coated warrior shackles..add a leaf for me was worth it, but a lot or work, and work i just didnt expect..i did a lot of research too, but i couldnt get the stock shackles off without grinding and cutting them, and my bushings were thrashed..so regaurdless really of wut you do..i suggest replacing the bushings with polyurethance bushins while your down ther..and while your at it..it was really beneficial for me to paint the leaf packs and a lto of the areas i could get to down ther too..a nice black protective enamel is all it takes..to improve look, life, and stop rust..i say get a skyjacker or rough country 2in lift coil up front, add a leaf by procomp and a warrior shackle in the rear, drop all the partsin the rear, paint the the leaf packs, and get new hardware for most of the mounting bolts, give yourself a few days for shipping parts u didnt expect to by, and for painting things, sand and paint the leafs, the stock shackles if you reuse em, paint the shock mounts too and the wall of the chassis that you can see from the wheel well..you will be very happy with the outcome, and it will look 100 times better..add a leaf if a lil extra work then boltin em right up..but like i said, worth it for the money..and really, look up that step by step on this forum to help you out..i think thers a step by step for the warrior shackle too even tho its relatively simple..you'll be able to slide 31s under easy..i'd go even for a 1150 if you wunted..look pretty sweet..perform even better..get them polyurethance bushings for under ther too..if your over 140k, GET THEM, will improve handling, and life, and look, and youll just be happy you did it while u had eveything apart.. 50 bux maybe off summit..you can use the stock alloys, but i like the cragar soft 8, chrome or black..and ther a few other cragar wheels under 55 bux each that are reallly sweet..so chek them out..(summit)

Back