Looking for an all-terrain tire test volunteer (or a few) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for an all-terrain tire test volunteer (or a few)

I'm putting together a "competition/test" of various all-terrain tires. Mine are going to be 35" Pro-Comp All-terrains. I'm looking for someone (actually a few people with varying brands of all-terrain tire) that would like to help out. Basically I'm looking for a few people that have any non-pro comp brand all-terrain tire that is new or near new (new enough we could get a tread measure and have it be fairly accurate of a new tire) and once a month or so send to me some data involving exact tread depth (no "eyeballing it", need exact numbers) of both the outer and inner tread, and the miles that were driven on their tires that month.
Also it would be great if the person/people had all-terrains that they took off-road occasionally so we could get some measures of their off-road performance.
If your interested, please respond here or email me at mattadams@pcisys.com.
This is a volunteer position, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im in.
i have 32 x 1150 BFG AT/KO with about 3k on them. ill give you tread depth today and i will see if i can get my tire guy to give the stock depth to compare. (i know it cant be too worn as the nobbies just wore off)

cool, try to get as exact tread depths as you can.
So we've got some 32" BFG AT/KO's, anyone else?

How about some 31" Bridgestone Dueler AT's, with about 400 miles on them?

so you want inner and outer tread measures, and mileage is that it? how about Pressure and stuff? just lemme know, i'm just the guiney X

heey would it be too much to ask of you to e-mail us "reminders" lol, for thoes of us that may forget?:confused: . I'm not saying i'm not gonna forget (yeah right) but just incase, LOL

Yomie and Buch, check your emails. As for air pressure, I'm not really concerned with that. If you have your air pressure set wrong you should notice it when doing your tread measurements :). Yeah I can email everyone thats involved once a month or so to remind them.
Also, if these are "oversized tires" let me know your original size tires and any gear change differences so I can figure out your "actual" mileage.

original tire size - p235 x 75 x r15 (stocker firecraps)
3.73 gears

you want metric or sae measurements? whats the best way to measure? metal ruler?

my best estimate my speedo is about 10.7% off. so follows the odometer right?

EDIT: just got your email after i posted this.

yeah i had the tiny 225 70 15's = 27.4"
and i am now running the 31's = 30.6
i have 3.73 gears i have no idea how off my speed o is i just go with the flow! aiight later

Matt,

I am picking up my Super Swamper Trxus tires this weekend. Do you consider these an "all terrain". They are more aggressive than the BFG's, but less so than the mud terrains. Let me know.

they'd probably be considered not so all-terrainy but we can get em in anyway :) Here's the email I sent to yomie and buch:
Like I said, just try to get as exact of measurements as you can. I use one of the "slide" rulers where you set the thing on top of the tire and push the actual measuring piece down in the tread until it hits rubber. Any measurement should work though. Here's what I'm hoping to get:
measurement of inner/center/outer tread depth at new (or as near to new as we can get). If you want to measure all four tires and do an average that would be fine. About once a month, if you can email me with the new tread depth and your mileage that's all I need.

The idea is to track the "progress" of tires over several months to see which tires last the longest given the mileage.

Sounds good, I'll let you know then.:bounce:

Spec off bridgestome site Tread depth = 16/32 or .5"

Mileage 62,312
inner = 0.5"(16/32)
center = 7/16" (14/32)
outter = 0.5"(16/32)

Just ran outside in the rain for ya Matt :frustrate

lol

ha ha thanks. by the way put about an extra pound or two in your tires, LOL j/k.

Originally posted by mattadams
ha ha thanks. by the way put about an extra pound or two in your tires, LOL j/k.

Why is that Matt? the centers are wearing quicker so shouldn't i take out some?

Nah your up to something here, i'm not changing the pressure, not yet anyways. it's just under 35psi anyways. i dunno once it stops raining i need to do the 'chalk' test anyways

kinda off topic but MATT what are you running 35's on???

Originally posted by offroader_69_me
kinda off topic but MATT what are you running 35's on???

I WILL be running 35"s on the F-150. This after I get the suspension lift done on it.

I've got 31" BFG ATs with about 1000 miles and one offroad trip on 'em. I'm doing a bunch of driving back and forth between Austin and Houston soon so mileage will jump up a bunch.

I don't have much time for exact measurements, but compared to my spare, tread depth loss is negligable, as well as no chunking from my latest adventure.

My Michelins have a whopping 400 miles on them. I would be happy to participate. Just let me know.

I have an almost new set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires but I don't put that many miles on them since I have a company vehicle. What exactly are you looking for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put 32x11.50 Pro-Comp At's on mine last week. I like them alot. Do you want to count me in?. Not sure since your getting them too.

Back