Looking for another 4th Gen - '09 or '10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for another 4th Gen - '09 or '10

Munchie

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 EB 4.6L V8 3V
Title pretty much sums it up. Had a Gen 1, '94 ltd for most of my driving life and replaced just about every part you could (thank heavens for this site :)). Had a '07 for the past 5 years and had intended to drive her for another 5. Unfortunately someone else had other ideas and now she's a goner.

So looking to get a '09 or '10 as I have no desire to drive a 5th Gen. Both previous trucks I owned had the 4.0 but I am not adverse to the 4.6.

Any things I should be avoiding like certain features such as power running boards? Is AWD dependable? There are a coupe of nice LTDs by me but not to sure of AWD and frankly I don't need every bell and whistle under the sun. Just more to need replacing down the road.

Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a choice, skip the power running boards, and the power 3rd row from seats.
I had to replace both seat motors, which requires replacing the mechanisms. Expensive. I have the power running boards. In the cold, they are slow to go down, and I actually have to wait on them...annoying. And when they go bad...expensive.

You get snow in Winnepeg, right? Get the AWD, we love it.

By getting the '09-'10, you'll avoid some of the spark plug and other issues.

PS - Keep your eyes open for Mountaineers. Comparably equipped, they are cheaper than an Explorer. And a higher percentage of them were V8-AWD equipped. They do not have a low-range transfer case, but you can still lock the center diff when the roads are snow-covered. Or leave it in Auto.

I'll ditto the comment on the Mountaineer - don't forget about them. They are often cheaper. In my case, I decided not to buy one because the lack of low range on the transfer case, which I do use 1-2 times per year. I could find similarly (if not better equipped) mountaineers for less than the explorer pretty easily.

Thanks guys. We get a lot of snow and -30 to -40 in the winter is normal. Lakes will have 3 to 4 feet of ice by the end of the winter. I do a lot of fishing and tow the boat, sleds in the winter and drive onto the lake, etc.

Because of that I am a little concerned with the AWD. I do use the 4 low a few times a year (steep launches, or pulling buddies out of trouble) so I don't think the AWD for me.

Mountaineers are non existent in Canada for the years I am looking for.

Dislike the 3rd row seating with a passion (power or otherwise) but I may have to settle as it would appear 4 out of 5 ex's have them. Power running boards I will avoid.

Ideally I would get a XLT with V8, 4x4, sunroof, cloth seats, no 3rd row, 2" receiver. But looking around I'll probably have to settle for an Eddie Bauer with V8 and 2" receiver. Don't care for most of the color schemes so I may end up plasti-dipping/rhino lining the "trim" around the wheel wells and bumper.

That's something I loved in the 2007 XLT's was the black trim.

**Edit: I'd probably even settle for a V6 with the 2" receiver if it had (and didn't have :)) everything else I mentioned. 5000 towing is more than enough but the extra 82 horses and better gas mileage of the V8 would be nice.

Thanks guys. We get a lot of snow and -30 to -40 in the winter is normal. Lakes will have 3 to 4 feet of ice by the end of the winter. I do a lot of fishing and tow the boat, sleds in the winter and drive onto the lake, etc.

Because of that I am a little concerned with the AWD. I do use the 4 low a few times a year (steep launches, or pulling buddies out of trouble) so I don't think the AWD for me.
The Explorer and Mountaineer (at least 4th gen) used the same systems. Ford called it "4x4" and Mercury called it "AWD", but they are identical. They are simply marketed to different buyers who think that they are different. There are differences between V6 and V8 models, but those carry over to both brands:
Ford & Mercury V6: Normal mode has some torque always going to both axles.
Ford & Mercury V8: 100% RWD until rear slip is detected.
The only difference between Ford & Mercury is that the Ford also has a low-range. If you need that, great. But if not, you can still lock the center diff on either brand for part-time 4wd operation. Rear axle is a clutch-pack limited-slip. Front axle is open.

Mountaineers are non existent in Canada for the years I am looking for.

Dislike the 3rd row seating with a passion (power or otherwise) but I may have to settle as it would appear 4 out of 5 ex's have them. Power running boards I will avoid.

Ideally I would get a XLT with V8, 4x4, sunroof, cloth seats, no 3rd row, 2" receiver. But looking around I'll probably have to settle for an Eddie Bauer with V8 and 2" receiver. Don't care for most of the color schemes so I may end up plasti-dipping/rhino lining the "trim" around the wheel wells and bumper.

That's something I loved in the 2007 XLT's was the black trim.

**Edit: I'd probably even settle for a V6 with the 2" receiver if it had (and didn't have :)) everything else I mentioned. 5000 towing is more than enough but the extra 82 horses and better gas mileage of the V8 would be nice.

Right. The absolute worst gas mileage is the V6 with HD towing package, because they change the axle ratio(s) from 3.55 to 3.73.
The V8 does not need a ratio change (keeps the 3.55 with or w/o the HD towing package) because of the 6-speed trans (vs 5-speed in the V6). The super-low 1st gear means that the final drive ratio is better than the V6 with 3.73.

I'd hold out for the V8 with towing package:
V6 or V8 w/o HD tow (watch for 1¼ receiver) are limited to 3500 lbs.
V6 w/ HD tow (2" receiver) is 5000-5500, but will have poor gas mileage.
V8 w/HD tow (2" receiver) is 7000-7400, and will get about the same gas mileage as the V6 w/o HD towing. And it's such a smooth drivetrain, with the extra torque and 6-speed trans. It tows our trailer loaded to 5200 lbs very nicely.

Only thing I take exception to in the brakemans post is the limited slip in the rear end. I have a V8 4x4 and an open rear end - no limited slip.

The OP's desired list is close to mine - I did want the third row though (and got mine as manual - not powered), and I don't have a sunroof. Found it a to be a relatively hard combo to find - much more likely to find the Eddie Bauers with the V8. Found a fair number of XLT's, but only with the V6. Got lucky and stumbled on this one...

Make sure you have the 2" reciever - its welded into the frame in this generation, so the "retrofit" is pretty ugly hanging under the rear bumper with the 2" and still having the 1 1/4 above it...

The Explorer and Mountaineer (at least 4th gen) used the same systems. Ford called it "4x4" and Mercury called it "AWD", but they are identical. They are simply marketed to different buyers who think that they are different. There are differences between V6 and V8 models, but those carry over to both brands:
Ford & Mercury V6: Normal mode has some torque always going to both axles.
Ford & Mercury V8: 100% RWD until rear slip is detected.
The only difference between Ford & Mercury is that the Ford also has a low-range. If you need that, great. But if not, you can still lock the center diff on either brand for part-time 4wd operation. Rear axle is a clutch-pack limited-slip. Front axle is open.

Right. The absolute worst gas mileage is the V6 with HD towing package, because they change the axle ratio(s) from 3.55 to 3.73.
The V8 does not need a ratio change (keeps the 3.55 with or w/o the HD towing package) because of the 6-speed trans (vs 5-speed in the V6). The super-low 1st gear means that the final drive ratio is better than the V6 with 3.73.

I'd hold out for the V8 with towing package:
V6 or V8 w/o HD tow (watch for 1¼ receiver) are limited to 3500 lbs.
V6 w/ HD tow (2" receiver) is 5000-5500, but will have poor gas mileage.
V8 w/HD tow (2" receiver) is 7000-7400, and will get about the same gas mileage as the V6 w/o HD towing. And it's such a smooth drivetrain, with the extra torque and 6-speed trans. It tows our trailer loaded to 5200 lbs very nicely.

Sorry Brakeman are you saying that the V8 AWD Explorer's (we have tons of em up here in LTDs) is the same as the "4x4" V8 Explorer or only that the Merc's called the Explorers "4x4" V8 setup in Mountaineers "AWD"?

As I learned, it appears that the Explorer did come with the AWD setup that the mountaineer has in some of the later years of this generation. Basically means that they don't have a low range. The driving options on that setup are AWD or 4x4 High.

Sorry I can't help on the years. Only know if it has 4x4 low, you'll find a button for it on the console.

In the 4th gen (at least in the US), did not get an "Explorer AWD"...only an Explorer 4x4. But the Mounty was called "AWD".
Remember that 3rd gen (2002-2005) and 4th gen (2006-2010) look very similar exterior, but are actually quite different, with greatly updated frame, and all new V8 powertrain in the 4th gen.

What model year have you seen labeled "Explorer AWD"? If prior to 2006, that's not 4th gen.

In the 4th gen (at least in the US), did not get an "Explorer AWD"...only an Explorer 4x4. But the Mounty was called "AWD".
Remember that 3rd gen (2002-2005) and 4th gen (2006-2010) look very similar exterior, but are actually quite different, with greatly updated frame, and all new V8 powertrain in the 4th gen.

What model year have you seen labeled "Explorer AWD"? If prior to 2006, that's not 4th gen.

2009 and 2010 for sure. Go to autotrader.ca and look up Limited Explorers... there are tons of them with AWD badging and no 4x4 buttons on the console where mine where on my XLT.

Interesting. I didn't know that.
I suppose they didn't want people taking 20" wheels in serious off-road conditions, so no 4x4-low.
But yes, the "AWD" system can lock into 4x4-Hi, and the AWD's auto mode functions the same as the 4x4's Auto mode.

My 2010 Explorer XLT (V6) has 4 Wheel Auto, 4 Wheel High and 4 Wheel Low.

Berny.

Hey. Figured I'd give a quick heads up that I ended up getting a '09 EB with under 60k on it. Sangria Red ext. w/ camel and cashmere interior. One owner (senior) who bought it custom from the dealer and serviced it there it's entire life, and kept all the service records :).

EB trim package
V8
Tow package
18" chrome rims
Moonroof
Dealer install remote start/security (gold system)
Sync
Back up sensors
Audiophile system

and a few other things I am discovering.

Only work to do on her is the blower control module (I'll install tomorrow) and right front hub (I'll just install both fronts on Thursday).

Nice! Sounds like the same color scheme as my Mounty (see sig).
So, with the 18" wheels, I assume it's the 4WD with the hot buttons on the dash?

Nice! Sounds like the same color scheme as my Mounty (see sig).
So, with the 18" wheels, I assume it's the 4WD with the hot buttons on the dash?

Yup. All the hot buttons. Bringing her home this past Sunday I got caught in a blizzard and the highways were shutdown. After waiting a few hours with no change I took the back roads in near whiteout visibility and glass roads sometimes crawling in 4x4 so I didn't end up in the ditch. She got me home s & s.

Not bad for our maiden voyage.

Great!
Now, updated that sig line.

Great!
Now, updated that sig line.

Done. Changed out the BCM so I can now turn the blower down from hurricane level.

Did both front hubs too. Ughhh not complicated by any stretch but damn did I have beat the old hubs off. Used a little never seize on the new ones. I'll have to do them again in another 60k I'm sure :).

Back