Looking for cheap 2-3" lift options for 02 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for cheap 2-3" lift options for 02 Explorer XLT

tmart57

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
I'm looking to add 2-3" of lift to my 02 exploder xlt, but I don't want to put too much money into it because it's just my side vehicle. I know there aren't really too many kits for 3rd gen xlt's so I was wondering what kind of options I have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your budget? BTF Spacer lifts aren't TO expensive.

That's what I was considering but I was wondering if I had to spend the extra $500+ for the upper control arms too. Also what width tires could I safely cram on the stock rims?

I was wondering if I had to spend the extra $500+ for the upper control arms too.

Yes you do. If you don't you're going to die in a horrible crash.

Well, probably not. If you only do street driving then your stock arms with a good Moog upper ball joint will be fine. If you do any offroading however expect to buy new arms.

Spacers make it tall, new arms make it safe. Your call.

For future reference the answer to all of these questions can be found in the sticky threads at the top of this forum or by using the search bar. No need to ask them again.

What about the body lift for $50 - sticky at the top of the page

1.5'' body lift for 50 bucks then 3'' f and 2.5''r spacer lift for 250 from Brandon which I just ordered this week and will be going on asap. I'm doing both, and replacing upper ball joints, all together about 450 bucks. Not bad, but if you expect any offroading, get the extended arms. Trust me and everyone else on the page. Stock arms will put alot of stress on the joint and if you flex these out, pop goes the weasel and you're sh** outta luck.

Good luck!

I would love to do the $50 lift but don't have the equipment. I'll probably just end up paying the extra cash for the upper control arms. Off subject, does anyone know what width tires I can cram on stock 16's? They came with 235's. I read the acceptable excess width percentage somewhere but lost track of it

I have the BTF lift but not the upper control arms and I run 265/75/R16. I don't do alot of offroading right now but I will be purchasing the upper control arms once the finances are right!

I would love to do the $50 lift but don't have the equipment. I'll probably just end up paying the extra cash for the upper control arms. Off subject, does anyone know what width tires I can cram on stock 16's? They came with 235's. I read the acceptable excess width percentage somewhere but lost track of it

Just ask a buddy for some wrenches, a sawzall and pick up some pb blast or liquid wrench. That's about all you need! & I run 235/85/16 right now, (31.8/9.25/16) No lift and on stock wheels. 16x7. I run 16x8 soft 8's now but still no rub or anything. They fill the wheel well pretty well also! If you want to run wider tires, go with 265/75/16. Look tough, but sometimes they will rub so you might have to cut down some of your wheel well.

Keep us posted on the progress.

The UCAs are a must especially if you are going that high in lift. Trust me! I have the rancho quick lifts on all four corners and BTF 1.5 inch spacers up front and 1.0 inch spacers in the rear. Rode on stock arms for about 8 months which was not bad considering my Ex stays parked most of the time and I mainly drive it on the street. Decided to drive around the edge on a cotton field about 3 weeks ago, not fast just gently driving along. Get back home to find that the drivers side stock A arm slammed straight through the ball joint and it was sitting directly on top on the steering knuckle. Needless to say that the next day I got in touch with Brandon, ordered the extended UCAs, got them installed this week, and the Ex is sitting at the shop now getting the front end realigned. The scary thing is that I drove home not realizing the damage that was done and fortunately no further damage occurred, but it could have been much worse. Just my two cents and good luck with your project.

Cooper Discoverer AT3's, 265/70-16's, 1.5" body lift, all hand tools (plus Harbor Freight locking oil filter pliers), PBBlaster, done in the driveway on a weekend. No rubbing, pulled the OEM running boards for more clearance.

IMG_3784_zpsd84cbbaa.jpg

Specifically for this trip to Colorado and Moab. Wife's 3rd Gen, and she loves it with the 1.5" lift.

The 1.5" lift, tires, and factory skid plates made a decent off-road rig out of the 3rd Gen.

IMG_3618_zps4b847cf6.jpg

And the stance just looks more like a capable SUV...

IMG_3126_zps189211d6.jpg

Back