Looking for compatible engines for the stock tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for compatible engines for the stock tranny

Reapersback13

Reaction score
City, State
Albany oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt blue
Looking to see if Anyone knows if there’s an engine that fits the stock tranny on a 2000 Ford explorer XLS. And if not the cheapest website to find a 4.0 v6 DOHC engine refurbished. Worried the cassette’s on my timing chain haven’t been changed since the Vehicle was purchased in 2000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a SOHC engine. It’s pretty much the only motor for the transmission. The OHV 4.0 would bolt up as well. It’d be easier to pull your motor and change out the timing stuff.

The SOHC 4.0 V6 was made for a long time and almost every one of them can be swapped into your truck. The less age and mileage the better, and you would have to use all of your existing external engine parts for any that are different. I'd replace the external tensioners of any SOHC if I had it out, including a later donor engine.

Looking to see if Anyone knows if there’s an engine that fits the stock tranny on a 2000 Ford explorer XLS. And if not the cheapest website to find a 4.0 v6 DOHC engine refurbished. Worried the cassette’s on my timing chain haven’t been changed since the Vehicle was purchased in 2000.
@donalds likes dahmer powertrain and powertrain products are good. @410Fortune likes ATK but many go with a low mile runner and swap the timing stuff. i want to say the 2.3 i4 from the stang and ranger, and the 3.0 from the ranger can be mated, but not sure a 2.3 or even 3.0 is suited to motivate the explorer like the ohv or sohc 4.0s

IF it helps I just had the oil pan off my dahmer engine and no plastic guide part numbers in there :)

My 1998 EXT has a 2007 Mustang motor and it's worked just fine until the trans did the usual thing and went belly up. I already have a rebuilt spare but, I'm not doing that work in two feet of snow! LOL

To my knowledge, the 4.0 V-6 was "fixed" in preparation for it to be offered in the 20006 Muskrats. The only thing that might change over the years would be more Big Brother gear on top of everything. The 2007 long block that was dealer installed on my EX works well. They kept the original breathing apparatus but, replaced everything underneath from the rocker covers down.

@Steve Forbes Is this "fix" that you are were referring to pertaining to the 2006 mustang 4.0 SOHC the timing guide upgrade in the Explorer/Sport Trac which happened in 2003? Also, I read somewhere that the Mustang 4.0 SOHC and the Explorer SOHC are the same except for a little higher horsepower camshaft in the "truck" engines?

@Steve Forbes Is this "fix" that you are were referring to pertaining to the 2006 mustang 4.0 SOHC the timing guide upgrade in the Explorer/Sport Trac which happened in 2003? Also, I read somewhere that the Mustang 4.0 SOHC and the Explorer SOHC are the same except for a little higher horsepower camshaft in the "truck" engines?
You are correct sir

Back