Looking for convenient "ignition-on" 12 v /location source for dash cam in 2008 Ltd. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for convenient "ignition-on" 12 v /location source for dash cam in 2008 Ltd.

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
Greetings.

I have an 08 Ltd. I have a dashcam (dash cam) mounted just below and beside the rear view mirror. It uses a 5v mini USB connection. I have a device that will step down 12 v to 5v. I want to wire it in permanently, but I want it to be powered only when the key is on. The camera automatically powers on when it gets power, and automatically shuts off after writing the last video to memory when power is removed.

Thanks.

There is a 12v accessory 20 a running to the stereo. I actually connected a 3 plug power port to it and I run my radar detector, dash cam and a 3rd port for when I haul my trailer and use the rear view wireless camera. I mounted the power port in the cubby in the centre of the dash.

There is a 12v accessory 20 a running to the stereo. I actually connected a 3 plug power port to it and I run my radar detector, dash cam and a 3rd port for when I haul my trailer and use the rear view wireless camera. I mounted the power port in the cubby in the centre of the dash.

How did you "tap" off of it? Did you go directly to fuse #3 under the drivers side dash panel? What did you use for a tap? I've seen the add-a-tap:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-...ories/cooper-bussmann-atm-fuse-tap/32416_0_0/

Did you use one? If so, will the fuse cover box fit back on the box (over the add-a-tap)?

Tnx

I went right from the wire to the connector on the back of the stereo (I can't remember which colour but easy enough to find with a DMM and a wiring diagram), then I routed my wire along the center console bezel and poped it out right at the cubby. Then i used 2 sided tape to stick my power plug to the dash. I just used a quick connect to splice into the wire.

Back