Looking for ELUSIVE EATC Information! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for ELUSIVE EATC Information!

mrhoward

Reaction score
City, State
EVANSVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger EDGE
Hello all! I am joining this forum as a Ford Ranger owner (2003 EDGE Extended Cab Steppie). My truck has a bunch of modifications, mostly stolen from Explorers, Expeditions and Navigators. I have been here countless times over the last 6 years while researching particular features of the 1998-2001 Explorers that I could incorporate into my Ranger. Today, I am looking for some VERY elusive information concerning the Explorer EATC (1998-2001). My truck has EATC from a 2001 Mountaineer, installed back in 2017 and it works well. However, the aspirator hose connection was placed in an alternate location due to NOT wanting to pull the dash to put it in the OEM location. Now, I have the dash pulled loose and the heater box is on the garage floor to replace the heater core (and while I'm at it, the blend door). This is a prime opportunity to relocate the aspirator connection to the OEM position (which SHOULD work better), only I don't know exactly where that is supposed to be. It is amazing how, with all the information on the Internet, I cannot find one single picture of that aspirator connection. So, here I am, hoping that a member with a 1998-2001 Explorer or Mountaineer would be able to supply a pic or description of the location of said hose connection. Below is a pic of where I "THINK" it should be (the area where the four raised nibs and two screw holes are).
cabin-temp-aspirator-connection-location-jpg.jpg

This area can be viewed by dropping the glove box down and looking up and to the left toward the radio area. Hoping someone here can give me a clue! Thanks in advance! -- Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe your assumption is correct the 4 nibs
I vaguely remember that hose on these trucks
I do not have any limited, eddies or mounty's here right now!! or I would go look see
I will be looking back through my pics from over the years to see if I have any inside pics w dash out from EATC trucks

Hey! Hello Jamie! THANK YOU for that info! It's been almost five years since I pulled the parts for my EATC and I remember the white elbow being a pain to remove, but luckily only one screw. Way too long for me to remember exactly where the thing was located. When I did my EATC mod, I gathered information from several sources. Two of them did this aspirator hose the same way... at the bottom right side of the heater box. It works, just not very well because of the extra distance. Since the heater box is on the garage floor, I figured it would be a perfect time to "do it right". Also replacing the blend door, even though mine isn't broken. Good to "see" you again, Jamie!

I was just into that last night, removing the actuator which mine seems to be bad along with the blend door.

There is a hose which runs right across that front top edge of the heater box, that and the wiring go right there where you mention the four nubs. If that what I think it is, I have that on all four of mine, and my many Mark VII's. The hose goes to the dash, to a small trim piece with holes(slots) in it. Look at the dash to the right of the radio bezel, I thought all trucks had that trim piece there. The hose attaches to the backside of that, so it basically sucks air in next to the radio.

airbagspace.JPG

I was just into that last night, removing the actuator which mine seems to be bad along with the blend door.

There is a hose which runs right across that front top edge of the heater box, that and the wiring go right there where you mention the four nubs. If that what I think it is, I have that on all four of mine, and my many Mark VII's. The hose goes to the dash, to a small trim piece with holes(slots) in it. Look at the dash to the right of the radio bezel, I thought all trucks had that trim piece there. The hose attaches to the backside of that, so it basically sucks air in next to the radio.

View attachment 423811
@CDW6212R : Thank you for your reply! Yes ALL Explorers, Mountaineers and Ranger trucks have that little oval "vent", but it is only actually used with the models with EATC. Of course, it was never an available option on the Ranger, so I modded one in from a 2001 Mountaineer. In your picture, I think I see the white aspirator hose peeking out under that bracket.

If you still have that SUV apart, would you mind snapping a pic of where the aspirator connects to the HVAC plenum? Please? :)

--

I'll get to my white 98 Limited again most likely Thursday, to finish the blend door and rob the EATC and actuator from my 98 Mercury. My picture above is my 99 in 2007, that's the best I had showing the vent, and yes it shows the white hose too. I'm not sure where it goes into the plenum box, I'll try to find it though.

I'll get to my white 98 Limited again most likely Thursday, to finish the blend door and rob the EATC and actuator from my 98 Mercury. My picture above is my 99 in 2007, that's the best I had showing the vent, and yes it shows the white hose too. I'm not sure where it goes into the plenum box, I'll try to find it though.
Thank you! I'm hoping to get my truck back together this holiday weekend as well! Happy Thanksgiving!

I wasn't been able to get back to my AC tasks, but I did find a picture which shows the AC box with the dash out. This shows the white plastic elbow where the air inlet hose attaches, it is just to the right of those four small nibs sticking up on the front edge of the AC box.

Projectthread077.JPG

I wasn't been able to get back to my AC tasks, but I did find a picture which shows the AC box with the dash out. This shows the white plastic elbow where the air inlet hose attaches, it is just to the right of those four small nibs sticking up on the front edge of the AC box.

View attachment 423959
Damn! That's what I get for not waiting. I've been looking at that location and thinking to myself that it makes more sense to place the aspirator elbow where it shows in your picture. BUT... I cut the hole where the four nibs are, and I wasn't particularly happy with the results. I may move it to the CORRECT location and epoxy a patch over the hole I made. Turns out the new heater core I purchased from Rock Auto won't fit unless I modify the heater box, and I don't want to do that. So I am waiting now for the Motorcraft core to come in.

I REALLY do appreciate you digging up this picture so I now know for certain where that hose attaches. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

What stupid heater core did they send? It won’t fit?? What a pita!!!

Can you imagine pulling a dash to replace the core and the new part
Won’t fit!!!

Battle on

What stupid heater core did they send? It won’t fit?? What a pita!!!

Can you imagine pulling a dash to replace the core and the new part
Won’t fit!!!

Battle on
@jamie: I ordered the TYC #96004. I have checked TYC's website and that is the "correct" part number for ANY Ranger 1995-2011, and Sport Tracs along with 1995-2001 Explorers; no exceptions. The issue lies in the way the tubes are attached. The OEM core has flatted ovals where the tubes connect to the core. The TYC unit connection is big and round and causes the core to sit too high, which doesn't allow the cover to sit flat. In addition, the TYC core is skinny, maybe half the width of the top and bottom tanks where the OEM is the full width of the tanks. All in all, a cheap, Chinese made core that wasn't worth the $40 bucks I spent on it. Rock Auto is getting this POS back. I ordered a Motorcraft core from O'Reilly which should be here Wednesday.

I REALLY wanted to get my truck back together this weekend, but that isn't happening now. So I fixed my wife's Lincoln power steering leak instead (which is a whole 'nother conversation on stupid designs)!

Yikes
Note to self motorcraft cores only

Ditto, yes heater cores are an old issue with aftermarket units. I have had two issues the same way with the shape of the tubes not matching the stock part. One was my first car, a 72 Gran Torino in about 1983, and the last time was my old 86 Crown Vic. In both cases the auto parts store heater core didn't quite match the shape, so it didn't fit properly in the box or dash. I got a Ford heater core in the first case, and the last time when I took the poor one back, they had another brand in stock which did fit. There is obviously an issue with companies failing to match the original part.

When you buy engine mounts, always check them quickly to be sure they match, it still seems common to find the wrong one in the box for the other side.

Ditto, yes heater cores are an old issue with aftermarket units. I have had two issues the same way with the shape of the tubes not matching the stock part. One was my first car, a 72 Gran Torino in about 1983, and the last time was my old 86 Crown Vic. In both cases the auto parts store heater core didn't quite match the shape, so it didn't fit properly in the box or dash. I got a Ford heater core in the first case, and the last time when I took the poor one back, they had another brand in stock which did fit. There is obviously an issue with companies failing to match the original part.

When you buy engine mounts, always check them quickly to be sure they match, it still seems common to find the wrong one in the box for the other side.
What really irks me about this is; on the RockAuto website, they state the following:
TYC's Commitment to Quality
  • Design: All TYC products are meticulously designed using the most advanced simulation software and tooling development technology.
  • Processes: The latest technologies are used in the creation of all TYC products.
  • Vehicle Test Fit: Prototypes are created and mounted onto a vehicle. Any adjustment needed is made prior to market release to ensure drop-in, hassle-free installation.
  • Accelerated Fatigue Test: An array of tests is conducted to assure top-notch quality products. Fatigue tests, such as abrasion, humidity, rain, salt spray, and vibration are applied to meet or exceed DOT/SAE and industry standards.
There is NO way this core can fit the application without modification to the heater plenum box... and I refuse to do that.

Back