Looking for Gunmetal Gray Plastic Spray Paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Gunmetal Gray Plastic Spray Paint

I'm painting the exterior chrome pieces on my 2006 Explorer and I want to paint them gunmetal gray. The only problem is is that I can't find any plastic spray paint in that color! Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible to use paint that's not specified for plastic if I prime it and prepare it properly? Because I found a general use spray paint in the right color.

Yes you can paint it if you prep it right, granted you will still have a good chance of it peeling away...

just a thought, i know auto paint suppliers, some can mix, and put any paint you want in a rattle can. although here they run about 30-40 bux a rattle can.

I don't know anything about SEM but it looks like it would work. It's always better to get a plastic/trim paint other than using normal car paint. Less chance of pealing.

BTW, for surface prep. I would wash the parts with mild soap and water. Scuff with a gray (fine) Scotch Brite pad, wash again with soap and water, then go at it with adhesion promoter and then paint.

I don't know anything about SEM but it looks like it would work. It's always better to get a plastic/trim paint other than using normal car paint. Less chance of pealing.

Yep. It has a "flex agent" in it to help with that.

SEM makes good stuff. I believe I've used their paint on my bumpers.

Yep. It has a "flex agent" in it to help with that.

SEM makes good stuff. I believe I've used their paint on my bumpers.

I usually stay away from painting plastic. :)

Thanks for the info, guys. I don't know where to get that SEM paint, though.

I usually stay away from painting plastic. :)

My Dodge Dart's plastic grill was painted with Argent Silver from the factory. I painted mine body color using the same paint I used on the car. So far so good...

DSC_2635.jpg

Thanks for the link, Rick. And that's one sweet car.

Back