looking for help on a 8.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for help on a 8.8

iaml3lue

Reaction score
Ok so i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I've been looking for a 8.8 for my project an i found this one for sale:

8.8 Axle for parts or whole less some parts. 96 Explorer w/ Discs. Complete axle less C Clips cause I lost mine! 3.73 gears and LSD. No rotors or calipers. Backing plates are there but bent. Make offer. Also have open carrier w/ 3.73 R&P. Also located in Stroudsburg.

the guy wants 150 do you think its worth its i'm a novice when it comes to axles i don't know what you can an cant replace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd have to inspect it before I could say it's a good deal. It may be nothing more than a boat anchor.

Is that the ratio your looking for? What is the project? I could sell you the parts and you'll know they work but I gotta know what your looking for..

I'd skip it. It needs all the brake parts and some other stuff that you'd have to find elsewhere. Plus the LSD could be worn out and need a rebuild....wouldn't doubt it based on the description of the rest of it. Not worth the trouble to me.

Pretty much everything in the rear axle assembly can be replaced. It's just that the parts aren't cheap and having someone do the work for you isn't cheap either. The closer to bolting in a complete assembly in good condition, the better off you are.

Well it isn't gonna be a bolt in its going under my Jeep Cherokee but since it came out of a explorer i figured id come here an ask opinions i think I'm gonna pass on this one an if anyone knows were i could find a 96+ *.8 the help would be great

I'd skip it too -- too many things missing.

I dunno where you are located but around the Washington DC area, there is a chain of junk yards that sell complete axles for around $150-ish complete.

im in bergen county new jersey

Well here you go:
http://www.crazyraysautoparts.com/

Bring plenty of tools, another person, and a hand truck because you have to pull the axle yourself from the vehicle.

Back