Looking for Mach-1 Hood for 1999 Explorer.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Mach-1 Hood for 1999 Explorer..

Rattler

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
This is my first post, so please be kind to me...

I just bough (actually traded a bunch of guns and $1K cash) for a 1999 Explorer with 103K miles. It is in great shape, and runs great. Looks new as a matter of fact..

Anyway, it will be used mostly for street and some minor off-roading on logger roads. Anyway, I wanted to dress it up with a Mach-1 style hood. I could have sworn I saw these hoods available while browsing through a Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords issue.

Can anyone help?? I need a cool hood!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get shaker hoods for sportracs, about a grand, tho not really functional on our engines, might consider an EE hoodscoop instead

A hood scoop from ExplorerExpress.com is the way to go. They not only look real good, but they are reasonably priced. Plus they have lots of mods on there sites for nothing but Explorers. My first visit there cost me over 5K, LOL so be careful.

As soon as EE gets CARB cert for the S.C. Ron, You will have some catchin up to do,LOL:)

I have heard that there is a Mach 1 hoodscoop and hood kit available for the Explorer. I haven't seen any photos yet. If you find it let us know.

spindlecone said:
As soon as EE gets CARB cert for the S.C. Ron, You will have some catchin up to do,LOL:)
LOL, I know. I guess the hardest decision will be do I go with the EE SC or the one that Apten is coming out with. I was told that the one that Apten has is stronger and puts out more ponies, which means it will tear up more transmissions.

Are a couple guys at the my sporttrac site that have them, might go there and ask around

Aptens SC is out and runnin as far as I have been told but a pretty hyper system at I think 12lbs boost, will never be legal in my state, EEs is in CARB testing as we speak I believe, with 6 lbs boost the other componants should be okay long term

Have you guys with the EE scoops made them functional?

How did you attach them?

Al on a non-carburated engine, they without alot of duct work are show only, some have mounted them with 3M tape only, I used tape and screws

Thanks.... I do not mean as a "ram air" system, just a venting system to push cool air under the hood.

Cut a hole in the hood under the scoop, ya got cool air I suppose

No Al have not as I believe it would serve no purpose

spindlecone said:
No Al have not as I believe it would serve no purpose

.... and the purpose of a non functioning hood scoop is?

The same as your airdam and TB spacer al.Both do nothing

spindlecone said:
The same as your airdam and TB spacer al.Both do nothing

Nope, you are wrong;the air dam as well as the TB spacer and other goodies have a synergistic effect ( positive ) on my gas mileage.

A fake hood scoop must be a California thing. ;)

Al
The first week I became a member on this site, you started giving me s$$t. I have been kind to you and have tried to answere your questions with nomenclature and explanations that I felt even you would be able to understand ( cut hole in hood to get cool air)
Sorry but I have a very difficult time having to deal with simplistic people,please in the future refrain from being involved in my postings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a nice looking Sport Trac with that mach1 hood scoop:
carlshaker.jpg

Back