Looking For New Gearing Wear-in Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking For New Gearing Wear-in Advice

96AWD5.LOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 4x4 - "Red Velvet"
Hi all,

I am currently getting 4.10s installed for the first time. Right now the front dif is in the shop and should be returned to me soon. I have been researching proper wear in for re-gearing and it seems fairly simple. Though, for the front dif which does not get used all that often I am unsure how to proceed. Should I lock the hubs and do the (15 mile X 3) + (total 500 mile) = break-in procedure like I would for the rear? What were your experiences with re-gearing and wear in, front and rear? I know to expect metal particulate after break-in but how about any "whining" during that time? I bought the gears (Yukon) through East Coast Gear Supply and they reccomend 85-140 for both wear in and permanent use. Any thoughts on this? Re-gearing is not cheap and I would like to make sure I give the gears the best advantage during wear-in.

I have swapped gears several times and never broke in my front gears. I have never had issues.

Even with the rear it's been set them up, and go racing, or fourwheeling. I broke a ring gear years ago, but only after pulling a Ryder box truck out of the mud while my Explorer was fully locked front and rear on dry pavement. That didn't break it, but the next time I pulled a guy off the road whose rear axle had seized up, a tooth broke off. Definitely not from lack of proper break in ;)

Heavy gear lube is what they seem to like best, so I would go with 85-140 synthetic.

Back