Looking for some direction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some direction

slow&steady

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 2Dr
Hi There,

My name is Vince, a new member here. I love the first gen. explorers and second gen. ranger. And have driving this type of vehicle for about the last 12 years.

I am starting to rethink the direction I was headed with on my explorer. Looking for the best around build for a trail truck. Not into major rock climbing or mud bogging. Just some to get out for some father son bonding, that is not going to cost me an arm and leg in new parts.

Currently working on:
1992 Explorer 2Dr 3.73 open rear (maybe too much lift currently)
-3" body lift
-6" Suspension lift
-manual locking hubs
-4.56 gears (not installed)
-Powertrax 1822-LR for the rear (not installed)
-10000lb winch (not installed)

What I have on hand to work with:
1990 Ranger 4.0l auto 4x4
1991 Ranger reg cab. 2.3L 5sp 4x4
1991 Explorer 2Dr 5spd manual t-case 4:10 L/S
1992 Explorer 4Dr auto 4:10 L/S
1994 F150 4.9L auto 4x4

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any suggests would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Vince from another Sport owner.

Welcome.

Don't seen the need for a 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift. 6" is the max you can lift he TTB and still have it align. It does sometimes cause death wobble. What size tires are you running?

Look around in these sections of the forum:
Offroad Tech Forums | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
and
Modified 1991-1994 Explorers
Hi,
The 3" body was installed first when I was planning to install a g60 supercharger. I needed the extra clearance under the hood to mount off the ac pump location. My Explorer does not ac. Currently have not come across any good information for tuning with the supercharger.
Currently running 33's. Might go slightly larger after the gear change.

Back