Looking for some more power out of my 96 5.0L Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some more power out of my 96 5.0L Explorer

So nothing guys? I'm shocked there aren't any bolt on restrictions on this engine short of the exhaust. TB and MAF are good? Intake is good? etc? Is there really nothing worth upgrading?

EDIT: Especially on a 96 because I see some differences physically in these parts vs the 97+ trucks. Are they only physically different but the same internally?

The only thing I can even remotely say if you want more hp is maybe a supercharger most of the Cobras do get decent gas mileage and the 5.0 can handle it, definitely worth lookin into, but as for me I am in the same boat as you looking for mods I really want a CAI cold air intake but can't seem to figure out how to make my own...

Well I'm about to do a carb swap on mine, 600 cfm holly with a torquer 289 intake (suposidly works better than the new ones) and a gm style hei dizzy. I'll let you know how that dose when done, I'm also nodding a stock set of explorer header/manifolds.

The only thing I can even remotely say if you want more hp is maybe a supercharger most of the Cobras do get decent gas mileage and the 5.0 can handle it, definitely worth lookin into, but as for me I am in the same boat as you looking for mods I really want a CAI cold air intake but can't seem to figure out how to make my own...

MAC makes a 96 intake, just have to make a sheet metal box around it. But it seems it's not worth the money. I have one on my 99 I was going to put on my 96 but it's fairly different. I may try to mod it to work but I'm not sure I want to drill holes in a 200 dollar intake and hope it works.

MAC makes a 96 intake, just have to make a sheet metal box around it. But it seems it's not worth the money. I have one on my 99 I was going to put on my 96 but it's fairly different. I may try to mod it to work but I'm not sure I want to drill holes in a 200 dollar intake and hope it works.

Oh wow yeah I dont blame you for not wanting to drill into it at all..... And I will have to do some research on it to see what they have thanks for the info!!

Back