looking for stock radio F87F-18C868-BC replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for stock radio F87F-18C868-BC replacement

Blueraven

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL 2D
99 Explorer Sport with rear radio controls.

I'm trying to find a replacement stock CD/Cassette radio, however I can find no record for the part # F87F-18C868-BC (2 door Explorer Mach). If I google the part number I only get one link to a Russian post.

The problem I have is the head units buttons are dead, but the rear unit's buttons work fine.

Can anyone render any advice other than to upgrade to a non-stock radio?

thanks, Blueraven

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have the cd changer in the console?

Best bet would be to check out a junkyard, or try to find a wrecked vehicle. For whatever reason, people on the web think this crappy Ford radio is actually worth something.

Well I agree that an aftermarket radio would probable sound better, however the stock radio that's in the truck sounds pretty darn good. I will note that the truck does have an upgraded entertainment system in it.

I purchased the truck last week and the radio does work, just other than volume control, the head unit buttons don't. The rear seat controls work fine.

This is a vehicle for a newly licensed 16 year old and if he wants a nicer system, well he'll need to pay for it, which right now he doesn't have the money.

We went searching the junk yards this past weekend however they want $100 plus for the radio.

I'm just looking for a cheaper option that will still utilize the features of the existing entertainment system.

Blueraven

do you have the cd changer in the console?

Yes and the rear controls.

Well, I did a search at Walmart and I guess I can get a decent Pioneer, JVC or Sony CD stereo with an Explorer installation kit and wiring for under a $100, so maybe an aftermarket would be the best route to go.

The 5 disk console CD box or rear controls may not work with the after market stereo, but frankly the kid doesn't even have any CDs, he only uses his Ipod and no body in the back seat needs to mess with the stereo anyway, doesn't the driver always have priority over the music?

Thanks everyone for the advice,
Blueraven

There are interface kits available to use the rear seat controls, steering wheel controls, and CD changer with aftermarket units.

the radio does work, just other than volume control, the head unit buttons don't.

You could always take the radio apart. The face comes off. There is probably a ribbon or some other cable that has come unplugged.

the kid doesn't even have any CDs, he only uses his Ipod

Aftermarket is likely a better choice then. Most aftermarket headunits can control an ipod.

I've already taken the face off and re-seated all of the connectors. I didn't notice any issues or notice the "burnt" electronics smell.

However without an internal schematic, there's only so much one to check.

By the way, I am an electronics tech. and repair X-ray equipment. Re-seating connections fixes the problem at least 30% of the time.

Thanks for the advice,
Blueraven

i have a complete system with the cd in the console out of my 97 if that will work if ur interested. mine works great i still use it now but im going to aftermarket in the next week or so. ill have no use for it then...:salute:

Well hell I can't pass up a deal. This being a kid's first vehicle, I'm sure when his funds allow for it he will want to upgrade it as well, but for now I'm just looking to get him some tunes.

What would you take for it?
Blueraven

make me an offer and ill pull it outon monday i dont know what shipping is to u but i'll find out and pm u.. sound good?..:salute:

Well I found a decent cheap stereo at best buy for $75 and a $20 install/wiring kit from walmart.

I would imagine shipping would be around $12-15, so if the total cost is anything over $50, I might as well upgrade to the the cheap aftermarket.

So frankly I don't know if $25-30 for the stereo and packaging would be worth your time and effort.

You might get the same off of Craig's list and have it locally picked up.

I'll ask my Son if he would rather have the stock or an aftermarket.

Thanks,
Blueraven

This is what I originally wanted to suggest but you seemed against it going by your first post.

It just doesn't make sense to spend anything over $50 for an old oem stereo when aftermarket units are soo much better, have more options, and are similiarly priced (in some cases...cheaper)

do what u gotta do i'll keep the system. aftermarket is the way to go but if u decide on the factory just let me know

I went to a local "U-Pull-It" today looking for a spare tire rim and they got in yesterday a '99 "Cash for Clunkers" Explorer.

Someone had ripped the stereo out. I don't know what they were after, maybe the GEM, but they tore the face right off the stereo.

I guess they didn't know a "U" tool was needed. Anyway, I was able to get the face for $5. I plugged it into my Son's stereo and it came alive.

You've got to like it when things fall in your lap.

Now, if my Son wants a better stereo, he can save up and pay for it.

Thanks everyone for the offers and advice,

Blueraven

Not to Hi-jack a thread but I have a '96 and not real stereo smart this decade. I have a stock cassette system and I'm running a fake tape to wire adaptor to an mp3 (not kidding but laugh any way). The factory head unit is feeding Boston acoustics speekers. I have a sony stereo out of my old truck but I don't have the savy of some folks a generation back or so. Lil help. While on topic, any advice? I do have some electonic experience but well...

Attachments

• stereo adaptor (640x480).jpg
    stereo adaptor (640x480).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,860

I went to a local "U-Pull-It" today looking for a spare tire rim and they got in yesterday a '99 "Cash for Clunkers" Explorer.

Someone had ripped the stereo out. I don't know what they were after, maybe the GEM, but they tore the face right off the stereo.

I guess they didn't know a "U" tool was needed. Anyway, I was able to get the face for $5. I plugged it into my Son's stereo and it came alive.

You've got to like it when things fall in your lap.

Now, if my Son wants a better stereo, he can save up and pay for it.

Thanks everyone for the offers and advice,

Blueraven

That's great! You can't beat a $5 fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back