• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Looking for suspension ideas up front on a lowered X

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
Here and there. Its just for fun as a hobby, I just want to race something different on a track and on the streets, something that will give most people a very surprised look when they see it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
So far my truck has under gone surgery more than once getting a lot of work done power wise, began with simple bolt on parts but then moved over to parts that require some work although I need advice on upgrading the transmission, don't know whether to keep it and upgrade or just buy a better one. Anyhow, I've been focusing on suspension work, to improve handling, right now I'm on coilovers up front with a camber kit running negative camber, the problem is all in the rear now and that's my focus. Even with the sound equipment the truck still moves nd when I remove it for track days it really moves. After suspension is done, I'm moving to wheels and tires, and then back to power, I've been dying to have a 5.0 V8 supercharged or (preferebly) turbocharged. It's a constant work in progress with its share of ups and downs.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Why not drop all that extra stuff? Not only for better acceleration times out of the apex but also CG - like the Safari Bar. Wait, does this mean you'll be taking this to Road Atlanta?

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
The safari bar is gone and I will be taking it there eventually. The only other thing I remove when racing is my speaker box, I'm doing this as a hobby, I still drive my truck all the time so I won't be removing to much more. I did do the brakes, I installed cross drilled and slotted rotors, after the suspension is done and I do bigger wheels and tires then I'll b able tO go to bigger more powerful brakes

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD

Attachments

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
Here's mine, i'll be upgrading again soon:

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
how much did those run ya?

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
damn you truly lucked out haha. I've been eyeing some aftermarket brake kits, i just don't wanna shell out the cash haha

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
They are universal big brake kits, so of course custom work in necessary, that I understand

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
None of the kits(any) are worth the money. Our trucks use very large calipers(piston area), so zero calipers exist except in the really high end kits. The rotor offset is far more than other typical vehicles, almost 1.5" while the Mustang and Corvette are .350/.850" each. So the caliper brackets are really unique, and the caliper and rotor are equally special. I built mine, and still ended up with over $1400 in it. I've got some spare rotors, and am planning to make another bracket for a new Wilwood 6-pot caliper. Some day,

Attachments

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
Ouch, thanks for the warning before hand. I'll be looking into furthering my vehicles brakes again soon, I need bigger wheels first, and I wanna finish up the suspension, think I busted something today, will know in the morning

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
So definitely busted my sway bar links on the passenger side, sway bar bushing and I busted up that upper ball joint......DAMMIT!!! Looks like I' driving the other car for a bit

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Which ones Eric, I've got polyurethane on all of the fronts, and I have the 1.5" bar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

hoghunter64

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
if you already backed out the torsion bolts all the way and its still not lowered enough, you can flip the keys over and it allows a 4-5.5 in drop total in your front. that's what i did.

Ebay