Looking for suspension ideas up front on a lowered X | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for suspension ideas up front on a lowered X

Here and there. Its just for fun as a hobby, I just want to race something different on a track and on the streets, something that will give most people a very surprised look when they see it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far my truck has under gone surgery more than once getting a lot of work done power wise, began with simple bolt on parts but then moved over to parts that require some work although I need advice on upgrading the transmission, don't know whether to keep it and upgrade or just buy a better one. Anyhow, I've been focusing on suspension work, to improve handling, right now I'm on coilovers up front with a camber kit running negative camber, the problem is all in the rear now and that's my focus. Even with the sound equipment the truck still moves nd when I remove it for track days it really moves. After suspension is done, I'm moving to wheels and tires, and then back to power, I've been dying to have a 5.0 V8 supercharged or (preferebly) turbocharged. It's a constant work in progress with its share of ups and downs.

Why not drop all that extra stuff? Not only for better acceleration times out of the apex but also CG - like the Safari Bar. Wait, does this mean you'll be taking this to Road Atlanta?

The safari bar is gone and I will be taking it there eventually. The only other thing I remove when racing is my speaker box, I'm doing this as a hobby, I still drive my truck all the time so I won't be removing to much more. I did do the brakes, I installed cross drilled and slotted rotors, after the suspension is done and I do bigger wheels and tires then I'll b able tO go to bigger more powerful brakes

Attachments

• Brakeproject028.JPG
    Brakeproject028.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Brakeproject022.JPG
    Brakeproject022.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 366

Here's mine, i'll be upgrading again soon:

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

how much did those run ya?

damn you truly lucked out haha. I've been eyeing some aftermarket brake kits, i just don't wanna shell out the cash haha

They are universal big brake kits, so of course custom work in necessary, that I understand

None of the kits(any) are worth the money. Our trucks use very large calipers(piston area), so zero calipers exist except in the really high end kits. The rotor offset is far more than other typical vehicles, almost 1.5" while the Mustang and Corvette are .350/.850" each. So the caliper brackets are really unique, and the caliper and rotor are equally special. I built mine, and still ended up with over $1400 in it. I've got some spare rotors, and am planning to make another bracket for a new Wilwood 6-pot caliper. Some day,

Attachments

• WB120-3030-FS.jpg
    WB120-3030-FS.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 352

Ouch, thanks for the warning before hand. I'll be looking into furthering my vehicles brakes again soon, I need bigger wheels first, and I wanna finish up the suspension, think I busted something today, will know in the morning

So definitely busted my sway bar links on the passenger side, sway bar bushing and I busted up that upper ball joint......DAMMIT!!! Looks like I' driving the other car for a bit

Which ones Eric, I've got polyurethane on all of the fronts, and I have the 1.5" bar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you already backed out the torsion bolts all the way and its still not lowered enough, you can flip the keys over and it allows a 4-5.5 in drop total in your front. that's what i did.

Back