Looking for torque specs on a cam and cam gear bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for torque specs on a cam and cam gear bolts

Pepou812

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette,louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer 4.0L
2004 ford explorer sohc 4.0 L cam replacement torque specs for the cam shaft cap bolts and for the left front upper timing chain gear bolt also left rear upper timing chain gear bolt i dont trust the book i have i've already snaped one bolt off in the cam. Please help. Thank you (I'm at work so I'll check back as often as I can again thank you).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2004 ford explorer sohc 4.0 L cam replacement torque specs for the cam shaft cap bolts and for the left front upper timing chain gear bolt also left rear upper timing chain gear bolt i dont trust the book i have i've already snaped one bolt off in the cam. Please help. Thank you (I'm at work so I'll check back as often as I can again thank you).

According to Haynes:

Camshaft BEARING cap bolts: Step 1. 53 in-lbs, Step 2. 144 in-lbs
Camshaft Sprocket bolt: 63 ft-lbs (Noting that the right camshaft uses a left-hand threaded bolt)

++Left front upper timing chain gear bolt - I see a "Timing Chain Cassette Bolts" listed with {Right Side Upper bolt at 89 in-lbs} and {Left side Upper bolt 108 in-lbs and Lower bolt 168 in-lbs}
++Left front upper timing chain gear bolt - I see a "Jackshaft sprocket bolts" listed with {Front Step 1. 33 ft-lbs, Step 2. Tighten an additional 90 degrees.} and {Rear Setp 1. 15 ft-lbs, Step 2 Tighten an additional 90 degrees.}

Not sure what book you are using, but there doesn't seem to be a production date difference listed. Make sure you aren't confusing INCH lbs for FOOT lbs.

GOOD LUCK!

And my disclaimer being this is Haynes information listed in catalog 36025. I personally can not verify their information as I've posted above.

I'm using Haynes it's the 63 foot-pounds that scares me I snapped that bolt before it hit 63 pounds. It could be because I was using an old bolt or my torque wrench was off. I bought two new bolts and the new torque wrench plus one new cam unfortunately and will be trying again when the Cam arrives. Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it.

What size is the bolt? Haynes has failed me before.

The bolt size is M10x45 this is for the right side so it tightens to the left. I double checked I was using the torque wrench in the correct direction but the one thing I did not take into consideration is that I was using the cam tool in the otc 6488 kit and had it connected to my torque wrench. Could that have changed the pounds that I should've been torquing to?

Do they say 8.8 or 10.9 on the head? I'd presume 8.8.

8.8 shows a max of 37 ft lbs
10.9 shows 53 ft lbs

There are some variations, but these seem to be the higher values.

No numbers on the old bolts maybe when my New bolts come they will have numbers. Thank you for all your time and effort into helping me

lever arm

The 6485 camshaft gear bolt socket extension in the OTC 6488 timing tool kit for the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt provides a lever arm so the torque is reduced accordingly to 45 lb-ft. See SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing post 5. Also, most of the "click type" torque wrenches do not click when tightening counter-clockwise. I use a deflection bar torque wrench for counter-clockwise tightening.

Thank you streetrod that was my problem!!!! Using that tool and still going to 63ft pound. Great info on your posts. Wish i'd seen it earlier lol but you learn from your mistakes. New bolts coming Monday cam by Wednesday and i can finish this up soon. This fourm is awesome. I have learned so much from all the posts i have been reading. Again thanks to all who post on this fourm.

UP DATE.

All timing chains an guides replaced, hydraulic lifters and rocker arms all new!! Engine installed ( that was fun by my self). Crossed my fingers and cranked it over.....started up on the first try it was a little noisy due to new lifters but after a few minutes it was purring like a kitten. Took it for a 30 mile in city drive RUNS LIKE NEW!!!!
Could not have done this with out all the posts I have read and help from the community. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

The bolt size is M10x45 this is for the right side so it tightens to the left. I double checked I was using the torque wrench in the correct direction but the one thing I did not take into consideration is that I was using the cam tool in the otc 6488 kit and had it connected to my torque wrench. Could that have changed the pounds that I should've been torquing to?

That is like the head bolt
You ain't supposed to reuse them they are special torque bolts

That is like the head bolt
You ain't supposed to reuse them they are special torque bolts
The head bolts are torque to yield but the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts are not.

Back