Looking Into Buying Sport Trac - Input/Advice Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking Into Buying Sport Trac - Input/Advice Needed

wmk0002

Reaction score
City, State
North Alabama
First off I’ll say this is my first post here. Also, I do not own a Sport Trac but I’m seriously considering purchasing one. I’m in the process of choosing a second vehicle that suits my needs best.

I’ll start off saying what I intend to use this vehicle for. 1) My main use and first priority is going to be for towing my boat. It’s relatively lightweight being a 17’ pro-style aluminum bass boat. I’ll also add that I don’t always launch it at nice, paved ramps but many times at dirt/mud redneck launches at private lakes and backwater areas. 2) My next most common use will be as a pickup. I do a lot of yardwork and farm chores including but not limited to hauling topsoil, gravel, feed, fertilizer, rocks, scrap, square bales, etc and towing small trailers carrying atvs, lawnmowers, lawn tractors, lumber, round bales etc. 3) Third on my priority (though not exactly a use) is looks. Being in my early 20’s that “cool” factor is still important to me. I’d like to have a lift, larger than stock tires, aftermarket wheels, etc. 4) Last on my list of uses would be offroading. I don’t go now nor have a ever really been an enthusiast, but I’m sure that will change if I were to get a Sport Trac.

Now I’ll give a little more insight as to issues that concern me the most. 1) Starting with towing the boat…I know the motor is plenty powerful for my needs, but I’m more concerned with how well the rear shocks handle it and also how well the 4wd will work in the more “backwoods” launches I frequent (assuming upgraded tires are installed). 2) Now for the hauling needs. Some of the items listed that I would haul in the bed are pretty darn heavy. Judging by other posts I have read, the rear suspension would definitely have to be upgraded. I could use any suggestion, links, or advice on this matter from either professional or personal experience. 3) As far as looks go, I think you get the idea of what I want. Basically the same as everyone else on here. My only specifics pertain to the lift really. I wouldn’t want to go higher than about 3”. I’d also like the lift to tie in to my other uses (possible offroading and hauling stuff) so that the lift is performance based versus being only aesthetic. With that lift height, what size tires would fit without rub and would the front drivetrain need to be upgraded as I have read? 4) Back to offroading. I probably would rarely go in itself but I could see it happening when I go camping, go out to my parents farm, bank fishing where sometimes it takes an offroad drive to get to the water, and stuff like that. I wouldn’t need super performance like adding a straight axle, lockers, or massive mud tires but enough to give adequate clearance in ruts on the trails and mud capability.

I’ve been searching for the right vehicle for a while now and haven’t found the best fit yet…a regular half ton truck is expensive and eats gas while not really giving great offroad performance, wranglers which are great offroad but lack cargo space and have limited towing capability, midsize suvs which lack cargo room, Frontiers and Tacomas which cost a lot more than Sport Tracs but are otherwise very similar….

TIA for any responses and sorry for making the post so long :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You pretty much described my 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4x4, sorry not for sale but plenty out there already done like mine for sale cheap.

Here's a link for the pictures before and after lift, mods, etc.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?VIEW=25950

Thanks MidnightRebel! As far as looks, that's definitely what I would be shooting for...a nice clean look, not overdoing it on the lift or tires.

Can you tell what lift(s) you have done? Were they just purely to get height or do they help stiffen the rear up for heavy loads or tongue weight?

Also, did you upgrade your drivetrain along with the lift and either way, how is the performance in 4wd?

I have done a :

Front: 1.25" Torsion Twist (free) if longer bolts needed Zabteck Technology sells them for $10
Rear: Warrior Products lift shackles ($74 shipped ebaymotors)
Performance Accessories 3" Bodylift ($180 from a member on the Sport Trac Site)
285/75/16 (33"s) ($180 for used 3/4 treads on Craigslist) on stock rims
1.5" wheel spacers ($109 shipped ebaymotors)

If you need any other info I'll be back on later, gotta go work the foodbank now.

Also, did you upgrade your drivetrain along with the lift and either way, how is the performance in 4wd?

I installed:

CAI with K&N cone filter for warmer months and a K&N filter for the stock air box in the winter.
Live Wire spark plug wires (Zabteck) with Autolite OEM plugs
Bosch 950 CCA battery
Random Technology Stainless Steel Y-Pipe and High Flow Cat (Zabteck)
Flowmaster 3"in dual 2.5" out with 2.5" tailpipes I fabbed up
Rancho 9000XL's and MyRide Wireless Remote System (old setup) AWESOME for any driving style
I now have Monroe Sensetracs on 'til I do my SAS

I tow my custom built trailer and I also tow my Show Truck on a car trailer to shows further away when we wanna put the Sport Trac in the shows as well.

I do a lot of yardwork and farm chores including but not limited to hauling topsoil, gravel, feed, fertilizer, rocks, scrap, square bales, etc and towing small trailers carrying atvs, lawnmowers, lawn tractors, lumber, round bales etc

You'll wanna either buy a rubber bad mat for this or just Rhino line the inside of the bed to protect it because the bed of the ST's are composite. I haul a ton of stuff in my bed all the time and I hard on my truck too so no need to worry about that.

Offroading is great in the ST because you have enough room to take friends and or supplies you'll need for camping, fishing, etc...

Best thing you can do is just search the web, this site and mysporttrac.com to get ideas and help.

Good luck with the truck hunting, there's tons of them out there.

Thanks... really appreciate the input as well as your time!

My main use and first priority is going to be for towing my boat. It’s relatively lightweight being a 17’ pro-style aluminum bass boat. I’ll also add that I don’t always launch it at nice, paved ramps but many times at dirt/mud redneck launches at private lakes and backwater areas.

If this is the case, try to stay as stock as possible, bigger tires yes but no more than 31". You don't need 33" to make your future ST look good. Bigger tires will affect every single component of your truck. Brakes for exemple, I went from 235/75R15 to 245/75R16(30.5") and I could tell the difference with stock, imaging towing a boat?

Used to own a Grand Cherokee that I keep stock for that reason, sure I would of like much bigger tires on that truck but sure glad I didn't, unless you don't mind picking in your wallet for costly repairs and maintenance.

Just my opinion :)

Marc..

With bigger tires adds more weight and it takes more to stop but you have to compensate when doing these things and just adjust your driving habits.

With bigger tires adds more weight and it takes more to stop but you have to compensate when doing these things and just adjust your driving habits.

Still adds wear and tear and the main purpose is towing not offroad

Marc..

If this is the case, try to stay as stock as possible, bigger tires yes but no more than 31". You don't need 33" to make your future ST look good. Bigger tires will affect every single component of your truck. Brakes for exemple, I went from 235/75R15 to 245/75R16(30.5") and I could tell the difference with stock, imaging towing a boat?

Used to own a Grand Cherokee that I keep stock for that reason, sure I would of like much bigger tires on that truck but sure glad I didn't, unless you don't mind picking in your wallet for costly repairs and maintenance.

Just my opinion :)

Marc..

Marc, what's your opinion on upgrading the shocks for my needs? It seems like the most practical way to go would be to upgrade with regular travel shocks and make any lift done by a TT and/or a body lift since I don't need extra shock length due to limited off road use. And what about on the rear...is there some sort of air assist system that can be used for heavy cargo in the bed or when u have high tongue weight?

Marc, what's your opinion on upgrading the shocks for my needs? It seems like the most practical way to go would be to upgrade with regular travel shocks and make any lift done by a TT and/or a body lift since I don't need extra shock length due to limited off road use. And what about on the rear...is there some sort of air assist system that can be used for heavy cargo in the bed or when u have high tongue weight?

wmk0002, don't put the cart in front of the horse. Get your ST, try it and go from there, no sense speculating on something that doesn't exist yet ;)

Marc..

the one thing i would suggest is trying to find a 4x4. there were only two ST's for sale where i live and both were 4X2. i did find a 4X4 ST at some shady looking dealer, and another one at a ford dealer that was immaculate. there wasnt one ding, not one rip, and it was an 03 below 60k miles. they were selling it for 13k, but i talked them down to 11 and had them pay the tax. it's a 4x2, and i still believe i made the right choice between the two considering the price and the fact that i dont do any serious offroading, but i do regret not holding out for a 4x4 to come along just a little bit wheenver i see a 4x4 ST. either way, the 4x2's are also sweet. ive owned 5 cars, a 4x4 rodeo, a ford focus, a subaru forester and a mini cooper S-type, and my favorite one to drive is my ST 4x2. i would also say that the ST is a rec truck, not a work truck. you cant carry huge loads in the bed, but if you fish, skateboard, bike, hunt, have a dog and play softball and basketball and need to tow stuff like a boat, you'll have plenty of fun with an ST.

the one thing i would suggest is trying to find a 4x4. there were only two ST's for sale where i live and both were 4X2. i did find a 4X4 ST at some shady looking dealer, and another one at a ford dealer that was immaculate. there wasnt one ding, not one rip, and it was an 03 below 60k miles. they were selling it for 13k, but i talked them down to 11 and had them pay the tax. it's a 4x2, and i still believe i made the right choice between the two considering the price and the fact that i dont do any serious offroading, but i do regret not holding out for a 4x4 to come along just a little bit wheenver i see a 4x4 ST. either way, the 4x2's are also sweet. ive owned 5 cars, a 4x4 rodeo, a ford focus, a subaru forester and a mini cooper S-type, and my favorite one to drive is my ST 4x2. i would also say that the ST is a rec truck, not a work truck. you cant carry huge loads in the bed, but if you fish, skateboard, bike, hunt, have a dog and play softball and basketball and need to tow stuff like a boat, you'll have plenty of fun with an ST.

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful post! :thumbsup:

Back