Looking into Clear headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking into Clear headlights

Okay SO I'm definitely going with some new clear headlights, will also definitely seal with some clear silicon when I get them for a safety measure but my question is should I go with a pair that is smooth inside? or one that has "steps"

Smooth
10-18163.gif

Steps
4826.gif

these say to be sae/dot approved

Thanks for any help, oh and if I go with the ones with a step I think I'm just gonna order the whole assembly, found one for only a few bucks more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The difference in light output between the two is probably negligible, so it's just a personal preference on which looks better.

Neither of those look like they have the proper reflector design to be legal for on-road use with a DOT or SAE approved beam pattern.

If I were to suggest a set of '95-98 "euro" beams, I would go with the DEPO or TYC brands, they are usually the least crappy. This also goes for the "clear" signal/marker lenses if you were going to add those too. I've seen both sets on ebay for very, very inexpensive prices, probably less than the models you have pictured.

Maybe some other members who bought theirs will have some good suggestions on what to buy or what to avoid.

Neither of those lenses has any fluting either.

yea i would like to see pics of them installed 1st but yea some good bulbs & clear lenses would brighten it up a whole lot !!

Use the smooth ones and retrofit them with a bi-xenon projector. Otherwise, they don't really look like a headlight that is made to produce any type of pattern of usable light.... they seem more like something that is made to look good. It looks like they just made a mold of the factory headlights and just made a blank copy of the shape. The second pair appears to have been designed to reflect light into at least a semi-proper beam, but I wouldn't bet on it being a good headlight.

One can't really rely on just checking what is DOT approved, because the DOT doesn't REALLY do testing of these types of things. They rely on companies to self-certify, and many companies will certify themselves when meeting even just MINIMAL standards for output.

I have the second pair, they look good and actually throw the light better, stock lenses are identical to the first set Except the lens is fluted.

out of those two, go with the second set. I have a set like the 2nd one in my 96 bronco with 55W hids and it greatly improved the cutoff over my stock housings. Plus, these housings have 0 glare

The second set also looks like what my brother had in his 98, and I dont remember him having any complaints about those housings + silverstars.

6733hood-1.jpg

Upon further review, the second set has the street-legal required bulb shield (so other drivers aren't blinded by the glare directly from the uncovered bulb), and at least looks like a replacement, where the first (smooth) pair just look like driving lights that use a headlight bulb, with no angled reflector panels or bulb shield at all. Driving with those would be an impound-your-ride-on-the-spot kind of offense.

If you must get aftermarket lights, get some like the second set, with bulb shields.

Upon further review, the second set has the street-legal required bulb shield (so other drivers aren't blinded by the glare directly from the uncovered bulb), and at least looks like a replacement, where the first (smooth) pair just look like driving lights that use a headlight bulb, with no angled reflector panels or bulb shield at all. Driving with those would be an impound-your-ride-on-the-spot kind of offense.

If you must get aftermarket lights, get some like the second set, with bulb shields.

While I do agree with you on the bulb shield part of the second lights (which is why I prefer that setup) i dont think the first set would get your explorer impounded... A ticket at most. My OEM bronco housings have the bulb shield like the first set, but of course it has a different lens.

Still, Second set :thumbsup:

Back