Looking to buy '98 explorer 4x4, but no keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy '98 explorer 4x4, but no keys

Kevin311

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
So I've done some research, but I think I've read too much and confused myself. Truck is only $200 bc the guy has lost his keys and I talked him out of junking it. Problem is it's PATS equipped I believe. I'm new to PATS as my '97 explorer isn't so equipped.

I'm thinking of just changing out all PATS related components from a salvage truck o the same year. I found two in my local salvage yard that still have original PATS key. Question is how much needs to be swapped over? I know the key, lock cylinder, the module around the key cylinder, and I believe the PCM as well. I've read about a module or receiver either bein behind the pass airbag or in the driver side rear interior panel. Just want to get the truck running and see if it's worth anymore time/money invested. My local pick and pull is very cheaply priced, and I've read dealers are rather expensive, the tow bill alone would be more than I paid for the truck.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its only the keys you are missing? And im guessing its the security system you are worried about primarily (not great with all the abbreviations yet) but if that is so you can go to the dealer and they can make a key off of the vin itself sometimes so you dont have to change anything at all.

Sorry if i am confused on the original issue but this is what i thought you were talking about.

Yeah, I'm trying to save a trip to the dealer. Just missing the keys. If I have keys cut at the dealer, won't I still have to tow the truck to them to program them? Nearest dealer is a good 25+ miles so it won't be cheap.

Alright thanks, where is the RAP located in the '98?!

It is the cream colored box in the rear cargo area next to the jack on 4-door models. In the sport it is under the dash on the passenger side above the glove box. Has large bundle of wires plugged into it. There is a sticker on the side with the keycode numbers and can be difficult to read without removing. Cannot remember for sure if you need to swap the RAP to keep the doorpad working, but the code should be paired to the PMC. If anything, would be easy to swap as well and doubt a u-pull will ask more than a couple bucks for it along with the keys and PMC.

Thanks Romeo you've been a big help. Now for a newbie question. What's the significance of the door pad lock? My '97 has it too but like I said, it doesn't have the PATS system so I've never used it or had to use it. I will most likely pull the RAP module regardless, bc the pick and pull vehicles usually only sit for a few weeks before being crushed. Thanks again!

Door keypad is so you can lock/unlock without keys. It's a huge help if you ever lock the keys in the truck. Pushing the two righthand keys at the same time once locks, twice arms the alarm. Entering your code disarms and unlocks the drivers side door, press the 3-4 button after entering the code will unlock all doors. The code is printed on the label on the RAP module.

It is the cream colored box in the rear cargo area next to the jack on 4-door models. There is a sticker on the side with the keycode numbers and can be difficult to read without removing.

There's a posting somewhere here (sorry, can't remember the specific title) about how to read the code with one of those extendable dental mirror thingies. Pretty simple IIRC. I think Harbor Freight has the extendable mirrors for a few bux, and another cool gadget to have also.

i don't think there's anything you can do if you don't any keys. you'll need a locksmith or the dealership and that wont be cheap. if you could find another '98 with keys and a matching PCM, a swap might work, provided the key codes are stored in the PCM. i believe they are, but you might want to grab the RAP module to be safe. then you'd also need all the locks swapped too. if the truck is a SOHC V6 with timing chain issues, it might not be worth the effort.

Thanks for the input. Went and looked at the truck for sale agin and it's the 4.0 OHV, the trucks I had scouted at the yard are the SOHC. Going back today to search for an OHV model with keys.. Dang it lol

Thanks for the input. Went and looked at the truck for sale agin and it's the 4.0 OHV, the trucks I had scouted at the yard are the SOHC. Going back today to search for an OHV model with keys.. Dang it lol

yeah, there are tons of SOHC's in the scrap yard.

..a mixed blessing I suppose. Parts are readily available for those that are still running, but yes, many have crapped out.
Does anybody know the percentages of SOHC vs OHV's that were manufactured for the Gen II editions?

..a mixed blessing I suppose. Parts are readily available for those that are still running, but yes, many have crapped out.
Does anybody know the percentages of SOHC vs OHV's that were manufactured for the Gen II editions?

there's some parts sight I go to that lists engine percentages (Autozone maybe?) I think it's something like 42-48% were SOHC's as opposed to V8's or OHV V6's.

there's some parts sight I go to that lists engine percentages (Autozone maybe?) I think it's something like 42-48% were SOHC's as opposed to V8's or OHV V6's.

Yes, Autozone. They list it as 79% SOHC and 21% OHV's. That's a big difference... didn't think it was that much.

Back